Like Tree38Likes

Discrimination at Citibank!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

are from these Iran, North Korea, Algeria, Guyana, Bosnia, or Myanmar and others?

Countries - Financial Action Task Force (FATF)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FATF_blacklist

shri, Rob2020 and rickyross like this.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    The OP posited that the bank discriminated against them based on his nationality, thus rendering the institution racist. Racism is a prejudice that takes as its base the skin colour of those who are being discriminated against. Nationality isn't race. Nationality is what country you were born in. It's not a skin colour.
    I think you need to look up a few definitions of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    are from these Iran, North Korea, Algeria, Guyana, Bosnia, or Myanmar and others?
    Aren't Citigroup policies the same regardless of the country where they operate?

Assuming my passport falls under the list of FATF Blacklist countries or whatever classification, how is it possible that I could open a Citi account in another country but couldn't do the same here in HK?

My only advice is to try another bank.

I'm not sure what your nationality is and you, for some reason, don't want to tell anyone. But it can be reasonable for banks to open accounts for some nationalities.
    -The ones listed above on the FATF blacklist.
    - US citizens because of the onerous reporting requirements and potential fines.

I know several people who have opened bank accounts in HK with less than desirable passports. Someone will open one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    Aren't Citigroup policies the same regardless of the country where they operate?

Assuming my passport falls under the list of FATF Blacklist countries or whatever classification, how is it possible that I could open a Citi account in another country but couldn't do the same here in HK?
    why dont you just transfer your account over here. why does it have to be citi for you? go to another bank.

no, they are not.

Citigroup in Hong Kong would fall under US regulations, Hong Kong regulations and even potentially one other jurisdiction depending on their legal entity setup. HK rules have a habit of pretty much allowing anything when it comes to procedures and judgment of individual people. US rules often emphasize individual judgment (e.g. go and apply for a US visa at the embassy and you see that it's purely up to the individual officer, and not a standardized process).

my gut sense from what you have described is that you hold a passport which - while allowing 90 day access - is 'exotic' and hence places an undue burden on the bank to comply with money laundering laws. Mauritius, Namibia, Venezuela, Zimbabwe or Turkey come to mind. in fact Turkey would fit quite neatly here since it likely is a country where a Citibank HK would be cautious while it also allows individual local staff to exhibit their nationality bias.
    shri and hullexile like this.

No they are not. Citi HK is a local outfit which must comply with local regulations in addition to the ones that corporate enforces.

There are a shit ton of countries that banks don't want anything to do with - based on risk factors both local and international.

In addition to the countries restricted due to various international embargoes, it is not unknown that local banks have their own policies for certain nationalities - I've known people from Nigeria to be restricted. In addition to that, I've known a few Indians who have British passports to be rejected for certain things (my memory fails me if this was opening an acct at HSBC) because they were born in some "dodgy" African countries - one particular case, the person had to get a letter from his employer, a top tier bank to ease the way.

"Racism" while true if you're a low paid immigrant of Indian / Pakistani / Brown origin walking into a local bank, is not always the case. There are many documented cases with Hang Seng bank.

If you feel genuinely quixotic about it - there is always the monetary authority where you can lodge a complaint.

Else, just move on and give some other bank your business.

Did you also refuse to tell them your nationality because it's "not important to the topic"?

chuckster007 and Rob2020 like this.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

The reason why I filed a complaint against them and posted this topic here is that I don't think the reason behind rejecting my application is due to a restriction on my passport set by Citigroup in general. If that was the case, it would be posted on their website (other financial institutions do) or at least implemented at all their branches.

I am frustrated because it is an individual racist/discriminating act which is against the group policy and it should be reported.

No way I will even think of banking with them anymore, other banks here are glad to serve.

You seem to not want to reveal your nationality, which is your choice, but it is important to the discussion because whether you agree with it or not banks do refuse to do business with certain nationalities and if you told us you nationality there are people on these forums who are quite resourceful and may be able to confirm if its a citigroup policy or just a one off case of racism in one branch. There may be other people reading this same nationality as you who have accounts at Citibank and can help you to provide hard evidence of racism to supply their ethics department in US which you say you have complained to. You say its a case of racism in one branch, nobody on this forum has any way to believe you until you reveal you nationality so really this thread is pointless until then. Your nationality is very very relevant to the discussion and not providing it is why people are just guessing and making up stories about you. One poster thinks you must be turkish, all just guesses until you help us out.