Like Tree38Likes

Discrimination at Citibank!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Just curious, but why don't you wish to reveal your Nationality? In this case it is very relevant if you want feedback from us, as without knowing it's just all guess work on our part.

Paxbritannia likes this.

This thread should have ended when OP refused to share his nationality.

There is most likely a very simple explanation to this problem and the biggest clue to that explanation will be the nationality.

OP is a timewaster.

shri, jrkob, HowardCoombs and 3 others like this.

Firstly, lets get a few things cleared up:

- Citibank as a US bank will accept US nationals.
    - Citibank has to comply with BOTH US and HK laws and regulations on anti-money laundering, terrorism, etc
    - No bank is allowed to discriminate based on nationality.
    - HOWEVER the plain reality is they completely do. They are caught by very unclear rules from the HK government (no surprises here) and play the most cautious approach (i.e. the easiest and most cost effective for them).

HOWEVER, dear OP, please do give us your nationality, it will make our life a lot easier in advising you. If you can't do that, this thread is pretty worthless.

Some articles on banks being racist (and these are just a few, there are probably more stories out there)

Hong Kong banks accused of racism after Pakistani man is asked why he wants to open account | South China Morning Post

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/02/2...ale-from-hsbc/

shri likes this.

OP was also asked about his nationality on another thread and ignored the question.

Ok, let me first thank everyone for their time contributing to this topic even if some consider it "timewasting" or "worthless"

I do not wish to reveal my nationality at an online forums where we communicate using usernames, I would do in person on the other hand.

And again, I strongly believe that my case has nothing to do with my nationality being restricted by HK or US regulations (I am an ex customer of Citi in another country and I have another account with HSBC HK)

Moreover, the CS hotline staff confirmed that it depends on the branch so it is clearly not a policy of Citigroup, US or HK or whatever.

And again, I fully understand the restrictions on some countries' passports, that's why I do not wish to share my nationality.

I am not south Asian, not from any terrorism supporting/Anti USA policies/Money laundry supporting country, and not Turkish as suggested before.

Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    Ok, let me first thank everyone for their time contributing to this topic even if some consider it "timewasting" or "worthless"

I do not wish to reveal my nationality at an online forums where we communicate using usernames, I would do in person on the other hand.

And again, I strongly believe that my case has nothing to do with my nationality being restricted by HK or US regulations (I am an ex customer of Citi in another country and I have another account with HSBC HK)

Moreover, the CS hotline staff confirmed that it depends on the branch so it is clearly not a policy of Citigroup, US or HK or whatever.

And again, I fully understand the restrictions on some countries' passports, that's why I do not wish to share my nationality.

I am not south Asian, not from any terrorism supporting/Anti USA policies/Money laundry supporting country, and not Turkish as suggested before.

Thanks anyway.
    Can we at the very least assume you are from a "white" country (i.e. Canada, Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand) or North Asia ex. China (i.e. Japan, South Korea) rather than say Africa, North Korea, China?

Shutting this down .... pointless continuing.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4