Like Tree11Likes

Four deaths in Sai Kung waters this past weekend

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It's not only they don't know how to swim, they completely oblivious of the danger. They don't understand the strength of a wave and how easy it is to get picked up.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Indeed - would be so cool to have this

I've been on a boat in seas like that. (On the way to Antarctica). It's exciting. And scary. And involved lots of vomit. (at least the thing I saw when I clicked on the link... not the surfing)

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Doubt they were 'huge waves' as stated by that website. Just waves. Perhaps 5 to 7 footers max.
    Maybe they where on the rock. A small wave, you slip, hit a rock, lost conscious...

I can swim. But I remember I once went into the water in Vung Tao. Just about waist deep, but already maybe 300m from shore. There was a very strong current pulling one out to the sea. Walking back was quite a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Maybe they where on the rock. A small wave, you slip, hit a rock, lost conscious...

I can swim. But I remember I once went into the water in Vung Tao. Just about waist deep, but already maybe 300m from shore. There was a very strong current pulling one out to the sea. Walking back was quite a challenge.
    Sure. I've experienced similar in Oz.

Just saying there are no 'huge waves' in HK i.e. 15-50ft. Nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Sure. I've experienced similar in Oz.

Just saying there are no 'huge waves' in HK i.e. 15-50ft. Nevermind...
    I think we have to see 'huge' in a HK context. Like, a 5 Minute MTR delay is a huge issue that makes it to the evening main news.

Moving water knee deep is enough to knock someone off their feet. Plenty of people die in NZ rivers every year in fast moving but not that deep water. Never underestimate the power of fast moving water.

Fiona in HKG and flameproof like this.

I'm a strong swimmer but one year, some years ago, I decided (or rather my father nominated me) to swim to the beach at Tai Long Wan from a boat, with our two dogs.

We never made it to the beach and I almost drowned that day and had I not known about rip currents and how to handle them, I would have.

One dog luckily made it very close to an anchored boat and someone dived in to rescue him. I had the other dog with me (a sodden afghan hound) because he decided the safest place was on my back.

We both finally made it back to the boat absolutely exhausted after a very long swim, to find my dad enjoying a very large glass of wine, oblivious to all that had gone on.

It's very easy to see how many people drown at that beach and it's not an experience I ever wish to repeat. Despite being a strong swimmer and understanding what to do, there were some moments when I really did think the dog and I might not make it.

Agree, while it is true many locals are bad swimmers, water remain water, like mountains remain mountains - it never is 100% safe and even the most experience ones get caught.

I am a decent swimmer but had some pretty scary experience back in France in my youth (used to do a lot of sailing and happened more than once that the boat capsized and you think you ok to swim back to boat only to realize the current is just soooo much stronger...). Same with the trails...I had a few fall where frankly it was a closed call....

Anyway, sad stories and RIP to these people.