Like Tree73Likes

2016 Legco Election - Candidates / FAQs

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Who cares? I'm here to make money & have fun. Not invested in their senseless Chinese politics. When this place really goes down the shitter, I'm out & won't look back.
    I thought "when in Rome, do what the Romans do"? At least pay some attention to the politics of the place that you're living in? Sucks it dry and leave when it dies. What a responsible citizen you are.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith:
    The independent Ricky Wong of HKTV is an odd one, virulently anti-CY and with some democratic views, he used to be a member of the Liberal party and is backed by them for holding similar views James Tien says Liberals will back Ricky Wong - RTHK
    According to Suzanne Pepper he supports the political reform package and also spending on infrastructure (Macau bridge etc). I like HKTV and some of is other points, but for that reason I won't vote for him.

The civic party seems guaranteed to get a seat. The question for me is which other party to vote for in the hope pan-dems can win 2 rather than just 1 seat.

As much as I like Paul Zimmerman as a DC, I am not sure how effective he would be as a Legco member.

Has anyone seen a brochure / electioneering pamphlet from him?

Also, not too sure if Nathan Law / Demosito can even work with the Pan Dems - or if they'll be the new long hair candidates opposing everything.

Several of the other candidates are out as far as I am concerned - simply since they have made no effort to appeal to English speakers.

All of this ends up limiting the scope.

Have yet to start looking at the DC candidate list.

I'm registered but am going to be out of HK this weekend.

Is there any way to vote by proxy?

Quote Originally Posted by curlyv:
    ...Is there any way to vote by proxy?
    Guide on voting procedure only covers you voting in person. No other options given.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    As much as I like Paul Zimmerman as a DC, I am not sure how effective he would be as a Legco member.
    You can be sure that the whole of HK won't have any missing links

Thats the point - as a Legco candidate, I think there are some bigger issues that we need him to be focused on.

Who will he align with, what issues will he align with or against, what is his stance on filibustering, is he a 33%er?

I got a flyer from him, he was at HKU station this morning. Also saw him at the Sassoon Road roundabout last weekend. Just a picture of him on a bicycle and a bio about him and his love for HK. No policies.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Just a picture of him on a bicycle and a bio about him and his love for HK. No policies.
    Exactly, that could be anyone, even though I'd not be caught dead on a bicycle. He's not making a case for why he needs to be in the legco. Such a pity - almost makes me wonder if he's writing this off to ensure that the pan-dem / indie votes are not diluted.

Also, not too sure if Nathan Law / Demosito can even work with the Pan Dems - or if they'll be the new long hair candidates opposing everything.

Several of the other candidates are out as far as I am concerned - simply since they have made no effort to appeal to English speakers.

All of this ends up limiting the scope.

Have yet to start looking at the DC candidate list.
    His facebook is quite active and detailed with videos of his activities though. Mostly involved in environment and neighborhood improvement.
    Elegiaque and rani like this.

Chatting to a member of Demisititio yesterday about the whole independence thing. It would seem that their policies are fluid and maturing. The person did suggest that independent was a relative not absolute term. For some an independent (from the grip of the CCP) judiciary, LegCo, Police, civil service is enough while others feel the only way to achieve independence from Beijing is much higher levels of autonomy where China becomes a sort of protectorate for Hong Kong just looking after defense and foreign policy.

Only a few seemed to suggest that total independence and the setting up of separate state was the only way to gain independence for Hong Kong society. It was an interesting chat and the students were far more politically aware than many of the establishment politicians.

Gatts likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast