Like Tree315Likes

Driving from HK to Macau - HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

If the mainlanders want this bridge, they can keep it as far as I'm concerned. It should just have been Shenzhen <->Zhuhai.

Even 15 years ago (when I was working there) Macau traffic was so bad that during peak hours it was literally and honestly quicker to walk from downtown to my flat up near the border gate than it was to catch a bus or taxi.
    As far as parking is concerned, let's just say it makes downtown HK look well provided for.

Mat likes this.

01/09/2016

HyD HZMB/1-70/2 Traffic Arrangement on HZMB (Case Ref: 2-268593XXXXXXX)

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email to the Highways Department dated 24/08/2016. Please note that enquiries and complaints made to the Highways Department and Transport Department are handled by 1823 of the Government.

Since your concerned issue is under the purview of Transport Department, Highways Department referred your case to Transport Department dated 31/08/2016.

We have referred your email to the relevant section of the Transport Department, and will inform you the outcome as soon as possible.

If you have any enquiries, please contact us.

Best regards,
    Joyce Ma
    Customer Service Officer
    FYI ...

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!:
    You can't take your car on the ferry though!
    You would drive in Macau? Again my answers were in the context of the question ie Macau/HK. Not China

As for driving in Macau....it's quicker by foot these days...

Anyway you can slice it anyway you would this project is not a plus. You could have put a bridge Zhuhai - Shenzhen if the Chinese wanted...but for HK and Macau the benefits are highly doubtful....
    chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    You would drive in Macau? Again my answers were in the context of the question ie Macau/HK. Not China

As for driving in Macau....it's quicker by foot these days...

Anyway you can slice it anyway you would this project is not a plus. You could have put a bridge Zhuhai - Shenzhen if the Chinese wanted...but for HK and Macau the benefits are highly doubtful....
    My in-laws have bought a place in Zhuhai as a retirement/holiday home, which is due for completion next summer. I was thinking that since I'm likely to be spending long weekends there, that this bridge would be beneficial for us (when it's finally completed). Like you say, I wouldn't drive in Macau either.

My in-laws have bought a place in Zhuhai as a retirement/holiday home, which is due for completion next summer. I was thinking that since I'm likely to be spending long weekends there, that this bridge would be beneficial for us (when it's finally completed). Like you say, I wouldn't drive in Macau either.
    You planning to shell out for dual registration plates? If not, why not just catch the ferry to Zhuhai?

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    You planning to shell out for dual registration plates? If not, why not just catch the ferry to Zhuhai?
    Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice to the rules of driving in Hong Kong and the mainland since I don't currently have a car here. I've seen the dual plates in Hong Kong, are you saying there is a massive cost associated with it?

Yep, nothing stopping you from driving on the new bridge apart from $$$$ ie a HK, Z designated plate and a Zhuhai designated plate to drive in either location. Good luck with that

It also fascinates me, how the vested interest, corporately controlled government, over here, ( this isn't Beijings fault ) deliberately ignored having, either, . a dedicated BRT lane ( like they do in Xiamen ) at the very least, or an electric PAX-cargo, light rail, heavy train or mono rail system incorporated into the bridge design...?

Wouldn't want any competition to the closed shop best interests of the ferry operators, shipping lines, or FBO's would we now ? Then, they might have to actually compete against natural market forces, instead of the rigged system that a small few continue to milk this city dry.

Hong Kongers, wont do anything effective about it, talk pretty much gets you nowhere in this town, when the authority has no fear of you....so, this is the type of city you end up with.

Last edited by Skyhook; 01-09-2016 at 09:35 PM.
    East_coast likes this.

Damn, I must say (and it might not be a popular view on here) but I really like Zhuhai. Here's hoping that once the bridge is opened, it is made easy(and of course cheap) to use the bridge between Hong Kong/Zhuhai, and onward travel within Zhuhai itself.

I can foresee some advantages, you will be able to catch a coach from new territories, Kowloon or Hk island then go directly to Macau, most likely 24 hours services as well

It's noted that few people traveled to lantau island when there was no bridge, but nowadays, its a common place to travel to, or even live and commute from , prior to the bridge, there were few people who lived there in mui woo, and discovery bay and the rest of the small villages

Damn, I must say (and it might not be a popular view on here) but I really like Zhuhai. Here's hoping that once the bridge is opened, it is made easy(and of course cheap) to use the bridge between Hong Kong/Zhuhai, and onward travel within Zhuhai itself.
    Zhuhai is quite sleepy place, not too dissimilar to yian tian area of shenzhen which is closest to sha tau kok, quite a peaceful and tranquil place

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast