Like Tree315Likes

Driving from HK to Macau - HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Driving from HK to Macau - HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge

I wonder what types of vehicles will be allowed to use the bridge, when its finished.

Will local drivers be able to drive to Macau or will this be reserved for those who own those 1mil + dual license plates?

Last edited by mlclau; 24-08-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlclau:
    I wonder what types of vehicles will be allowed to use the bridge, when its finished.

Will local drivers be able to drive to Macau or will this be reserved for those who own those 1mil + dual license plates?
    By the time the bridge is finished!?!?! I imagine it will be so far into the future we will all be flying around in those personal planes like in the Jetsons cartoons and the bridge will be redundant...
    lovehunter and MandM! like this.

I don't think the streets of Macau will be able to handle the traffic if just anyone from HK could drive their car there. You will probably need to get a Macau plate to able to take your own car across.

chuckster007 likes this.

This bridge definitely wont be for the regular masses, only for Dual Plate vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    I don't think the streets of Macau will be able to handle the traffic if just anyone from HK could drive their car there. You will probably need to get a Macau plate to able to take your own car across.
    We were talking about this the other day, when some online article / SCMP said that the driving time to Macau would be 30-40 mins.

Would be nice to be able to drive to Macau for weekend entertainment / dinner. People from LA can drive to Vegas... so why not us from HK to Macau.

[Added: I have emailed [email protected] - lets see if they reply]
    MandM! likes this.

and dirty container trucks.

The drive is supposed to be about 40-50 mins from Tung Chung. So say about 60-80 mins from Central.

I think there will be total chaos if any/all HK cars were allowed to drive down to Macau. Traffic in Macau would not be able to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    The drive is supposed to be about 40-50 mins from Tung Chung. So say about 60-80 mins from Central.

I think there will be total chaos if any/all HK cars were allowed to drive down to Macau. Traffic in Macau would not be able to handle it.
    The bridge toll could be used to regulate the traffic?

From what I understand we are all dreaming but some posters are on the right road (excuse the pun).

HK & PRC dual plate vehicles are intended to be able to use the HK & Zhuhai entry & exit points.

Macau & PRC dual plate vehicles should be able to go from Macau to Zhuhai & vice versa.

HK registered vehicles will not be allowed into Macau & Macau registered vehicles will not be allowed into HK & PRC registered single platers are excluded from the bridge too.

Other problems remain as to whose rules to adopt (PRC, HK or Macau) and what side of the road to drive on!

Another example of a well thought out and planned project - not! Another white elephant with benefits for a few cars and lorries with dual registration. Can u imagine the queues at the bridge for Macau on Sundays - Tuen Mun & Tung Chung are already bad enough! Can u imagine if PRC drivers could visit HK on Sundays - all the highways would become carparks!

Last edited by Soutie; 24-08-2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: additional comment

Quote Originally Posted by Soutie:

Another example of a well thought out and planned project - not! Another white elephant with benefits for a few cars and lorries with dual registration. Can u imagine the queues at the bridge for Macau on Sundays - Tuen Mun & Tung Chung are already bad enough! Can u imagine if PRC drivers could visit HK on Sundays - all the highways would become carparks!
    I often drive on the Tung Chung highway to TST/Central on my commute to work, and I cannot even begin to imagine how bad (not to mention dangerous) traffic will be, particularly if we're going to allow a shedload of weekend mainland drivers and lots of heavy goods trucks / tour buses to merge onto the highway.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast