Like Tree62Likes

Once Sleepy Singapore Has Become Asia’s World City—While Hong Kong Is Lagging

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    Singapore has larger area and some might argue "better" public housing system than HK
    Yeah but if you're not Singaporean you can't access public housing right?

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    true

Do you want to be Singaporean, as they have compulsory conscription
    merchantms likes this.

To call Singapore a 'world city' is far-fetched but they've made great progress and seem to be quite proud of their country. At least it is a real country unlike HK. We all know HK is regressing and locals aren't exactly a happy and proud bunch these days.

Singapore:
    Better quality of life, Nicer People, Better housing, Public transport is better and more organised...and I could go on forever.
    HK has been dying a slow death for years and next year will be interesting.

Singapore deserves the title of "Asia's World City" ...not HK

For the same rent I pay now I would get a much larger property in an expat area in Singapore. So it's not really cheaper but more for your money as the flats don't tend to come in HK-size 400 sq ft.

I would imagine there aren't as many apartments on the cheaper end for non-Singapore citizens compared to HK.
    Its slightly more expensive for non PR's to buy properties in Singapore but the quality/size of the unit is far superior than that of the HK ones. There are plenty of condos available and even non residents can purchase them.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    Do you want to be Singaporean, as they have compulsory conscription
    Nope, I meet a lot of expats who think Singapore is so great but it's certainly not a free society. Not my cup of tea but for a short period of time I can see the appeal.

Housing is a bit cheaper than HK but overall SG is more expensive according to the ranks published every now and then (for expats that is).

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Singapore:
    Better quality of life, Nicer People, Better housing, Public transport is better and more organised...and I could go on forever.
    HK has been dying a slow death for years and next year will be interesting.

Singapore deserves the title of "Asia's World City" ...not HK
    Was the username JaredSG taken? ;-)

Have to agree with JaredHK's post, Singapore, ( in a nutshell ) is a lot more westernised, in how it approaches town planning, its preservation of older buildings, and how it feels overall.

F & B is certainly much better in the quality and sophistication of what is on offer, also, the so called authoritarian govt, is very liberal when it comes to outdoor cafe seating and hawker/Street food markets etc. Hong Kong really pales by comparison.

Agree also that Singapore folks are very polite and a lot more chilled out, Hongkies in the city, really are a tense, rush,rush, rush bunch. I suppose you can't blame them, while their government since the 97 handover has just made life more time poor for them, not better.....well, not unless you are a big developer, or part of the Hong Kong cartel, better for them...

Also, Singapore looks great during the Formula 1 grand Prix, they do an excellent job, thanks to that reliable organisation that can be counted on.

Interesting that some here are blindly quick to defend Hong Kong, as it erodes the average persons quality of life away, while, Singapore, gets on with the job of embracing the 21st century, with a sensible approach to its future.

While English is native in Singers, you do need to be more aware of what you say when you're having an expat hissy fit, because everybody can understand what you're saying. And yes, the laws are a lot more severe toward alphamales who can't hold their alcohol when out in public.... Same goes for food and hygiene laws, they've got really sharp teeth over there, as it should be.

I like Singapore

Last edited by Skyhook; 30-09-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    JaredHK, shri, Mrs. Jones and 3 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast