Like Tree47Likes

Female-only carriages for MTR?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wayland:
    To the pregnant women and seniors out there who complain of not being offered seats...

Rather than complain, have you ever just politely asked? "I'm sorry, but that's a priority seat and I'm extremely fatigued. Would you mind?" I really can't imagine any one declining such a request if asked, politely.

We can moan and groan about how inconsiderate people are, but unless you actually do something about it, you're really doing nothing more than bitching.

We don't live in a perfect world. But it doesn't mean you just complain and do nothing to change it.
    Yes I have done (for my wife) but they shouldn't really need to be asked

Quote Originally Posted by rathunt:
    Agree with priority for the first two but from a very young age over here parents will teach their little rats to sprint into carriages as soon as the doors start to open so that the little princes can get to any vacant seats well before anyone more deserving can get to them.
    There does need to be public service videos nudging better social behavior. What is normal in some circles is not in others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5kkTetwH7Y
    DirtyHairy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AGxM:
    teach users better manners would be money better spent.

Unless you get tough like Singapore did/does, Hong Kong is what it is. Imagine what it is going to be like in a decade with another million mainland residents lol.

Lets just all agree, that, culturally, the whole manners thing just isn't a ( overcrowded ) Chinese trait, like is expected in, say, Singapore or Japan.... An exponentially, dog eat dog, rush, rush, rush, mentality.

Add a private school education system that allows helicopter parenting to thrive and a government that channels the lions share of any significant financial opportunity, to the super rich, any wonder the average, Hong Konger ( especially females ) just aren't in the mood for sex... @Mat

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    [playing devil's advocate here]

Why shouldn't they need to be asked? It's good manners using your moral scale but we live in such a global society now, you should consider that there are many cultural differences. In Japan, it's not customary to give up your seat to the elderly.

We live in an age where people from so many different backgrounds interact with each on on a daily basis. To expect that someone you don't know, has the same upbringing, value system and morals as you is selfish IMO. I'm not arguing that the giving up of a seat to others in need isn't the right thing to do. I just disagree when people automatically assume that everyone in the world has the same belief.

Maybe in 20 years, the Mainlanders will realize that it's not very polite to urinate/defecate in public places, etc. We are not born with morals. It's something that is learned. But if you don't take time to teach it and just complain, it'll take longer.

On the issue of groping, I cannot stress enough how important it is to react. And react strongly. Enough to draw attention from those immediately around you.

Contrary to popular belief, they dont look at how a woman is dressed but rather who they *think* will let them get away with it. Shy, alone, naive-looking, etc. A woman in tiny shorts is not more likely to be groped than a woman in a habit.

This is actually a thing, there's a French term for it. Groping is like a drug for twisted minds. When they are out for a 'fix', its not only a feel-up they're after, but being able to walk away with it that completes their high. And like any drug addiction, each time their urges get stronger and they act bolder. You need to react to 'stun' and shame them out of their high.

At the very basic level, gropers are total wusses, and will never do anything back to you if you react. Theyre the ones who will quietly slip away, as it should be.

On the flipside, while any encounter with groper will always stay with you as a memory, how you reacted will deeply impact how you feel each time you are reminded. So dont hesitate pls! And regardless of where it happens, trains, buses, etc.

I cant believe this is going on enough that seperate MTR compartments are being considered! Thats like you are trying to make room for it and allowing it to be a new norm in HK society. No. Just no.

Im almost embarrassed that I have this much to say about groping.

End rant.

Skyhook, DirtyHairy and wayland like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I was traveling with my elderly (70+) mother-in-law a few years back on a crowned bus. I asked for someone to vacate the priority seat for her and they pretended not to understand. So I yanked them out of the seat.

There are some real shits here. However' there are also plenty of lovely folks who will help out, particular I found when I had my broken ankle and was on crutches etc. Not all HK ppl are bad. On the whole, the older generation are much nicer than the entitled youth.

Quote Originally Posted by wayland:
    [playing devil's advocate here]

Why shouldn't they need to be asked? It's good manners using your moral scale but we live in such a global society now, you should consider that there are many cultural differences. In Japan, it's not customary to give up your seat to the elderly.

We live in an age where people from so many different backgrounds interact with each on on a daily basis. To expect that someone you don't know, has the same upbringing, value system and morals as you is selfish IMO. I'm not arguing that the giving up of a seat to others in need isn't the right thing to do. I just disagree when people automatically assume that everyone in the world has the same belief.

Maybe in 20 years, the Mainlanders will realize that it's not very polite to urinate/defecate in public places, etc. We are not born with morals. It's something that is learned. But if you don't take time to teach it and just complain, it'll take longer.
    Because there are large signs on both bus and MTR saying so. No need for cultural backgrounding. Just do as the signs say.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    any wonder the average, Hong Konger ( especially females ) just aren't in the mood for sex... @Mat
    lots of horny female bankers and lawyers, you need to get out more ;-)

[and yes I am bringing the level of conversation down because let's face it, the fact that we need a female carrier only is such a sad picture of our society]

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Just do as the signs say.
    So on one hand we complain about HKongers not being creative and always follow the rulesand on another hand we complain about Hkongers not following the rules...aiya!

Quote Originally Posted by girlinterrupted:
    Contrary to popular belief, they dont look at how a woman is dressed but rather who they *think* will let them get away with it. Shy, alone, naive-looking, etc. A woman in tiny shorts is not more likely to be groped than a woman in a habit.
    Yes...this is my point for these women...if there are any shy, alone, naive women on Geo ... (I'm obviously not speaking about HK_Katherine)

...but in all seriousness, please shout...the vast majority of men abhor this kind of behaviour and will support you.
    Skyhook likes this.