Like Tree27Likes

Hong Kong requires more overseas talent, trade body head insists

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hong Kong requires more overseas talent, trade body head insists

Economic success for Hong Kong requires more overseas talent, trade body head insists | South China Morning Post

Is Margaret Fong off message?

Policies currently seem to be skewed to make Hong Kong less attractive to mobile high achievers. Lack of school places, not able to buy local property, tiny apartments and getting smaller, pollution reduction failing etc

A former civil servant. I like her.

Lots of International schools have opened up recently or are going to open very soon. I don't think it'll be such a big issue in the near future.

East_coast and merchantms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    A former civil servant. I like her.

Lots of International schools have opened up recently or are going to open very soon. I don't think it'll be such a big issue in the near future.
    With the huge debentures, yearly capital charges and eye-watering fees being charged by the new schools, schooling will continue to be an issue for all but the miniscule percentage of very top hires mostly in the financial sector which aren't the innovative types she is talking about. Also, new international schools aren't aimed at Western expats, it's mainland money they are chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Local schools have also become less and less attractive to the middle class. So there is a fair amount of local pressure on the Intl school demographics.

Intl schools are quite unaffordable for a lot of the new "mobile" expats, when you couple school fees with rent, multiple kids, debentures...
    100LL, Fiona in HKG and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Local schools have also become less and less attractive to the middle class. So there is a fair amount of local pressure on the Intl school demographics.

Intl schools are quite unaffordable for a lot of the new "mobile" expats, when you couple school fees with rent, multiple kids, debentures...
    Usually places for locals are limited in International schools. She was also talking about talent, not any "mobile" expat.

Usually places for locals are limited in International schools.
    How are they limited? ( I suspect I know what your answer might be and I'm going to bait you into it )

By mobile expats I meant those who are willing and able to move. Usually younger and less paid, I assume that is what she is trying to encourage. Or may be the older more established package-expats. Who knows.. these people say whatever they want, without actually having a policy framework in mind.
    Mrs. Jones and Skyhook like this.

If the education system is broken, fix that...bringing in outside talent is a bullshit solution and a slap in the face for locals...

More focus on English and creative thinking in local schools is what's needed here....why can't we give our local kids a future to look forward to?

Mrs. Jones and JaredHK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    How are they limited? ( I suspect I know what your answer might be and I'm going to bait you into it )

By mobile expats I meant those who are willing and able to move. Usually younger and less paid, I assume that is what she is trying to encourage. Or may be the older more established package-expats. Who knows.. these people say whatever they want, without actually having a policy framework in mind.
    International schools like to have an International student body. Hence they use some kind of quota. For example, there's a famos International School from England in my area. If you're fresh of the boat, meaning coming from England, your chances of getting in are very easy. Is this what you expected as the answer?

I wouldn't refer to expats with multiple kids as "mobile".

Young expats on lower packages wouldn't be sending their children to private schools back home anyway.

I don't think young expats are stable nor long term focused on HK. Many come then jet out after a year or two. They don't give it a real shot, as the grass is always greener.

HK can maintain competitive as long as you are comparing other countries. You may be comparing the past but look at Singapore, they also have the tax to buy property and people still go there. I think HK is hands down better than Singapore. But I would hate the hot weather all year long amongst other things unique to Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    If the education system is broken, fix that...bringing in outside talent is a bullshit solution and a slap in the face for locals...

More focus on English and creative thinking in local schools is what's needed here....why can't we give our local kids a future to look forward to?
    Isn't the best way to open the doors to the best talent in the world so the locals must up their game.

Also bringing high achieving foreigners in forges links around the globe that wouldn't normally happen.

Isolationism doesn't work.
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast