Like Tree41Likes

Hong Kong government seeks court order to bar Youngspiration pair from taking Legislative Council oath again

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith:
    I am assuming the government will ask the NPCSC for an interpretation of the Basic Law if they lose the judicial review. Presumably that is why they are so confident, otherwise it is just a mess with some people being allowed to re-take and others not.
    This feels like an abuse of power. Yet to see an opinion poll on what the public feels about the silly antics while taking the oath.

Hopefully this pair will not run in the bi-election but let a more middle of the road candidate run. Almost certainly the pro-authoritarians will put up faux-democratics like Ricky Wong to contest the seat. It looks like 2 seats will go back to Beijing's corners.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    This feels like an abuse of power. Yet to see an opinion poll on what the public feels about the silly antics while taking the oath.

Hopefully this pair will not run in the bi-election but let a more middle of the road candidate run. Almost certainly the pro-authoritarians will put up faux-democratics like Ricky Wong to contest the seat. It looks like 2 seats will go back to Beijing's corners.
    What makes you think the 2 seats would go to Beijing's corner? The only "outrage" I have seen are by the usual pro-Beijing stooges. People on the pro-dem front, and certainly the more radical ones will probably be more emboldened to vote for them now!

Certainly it's disgusting to see a non-elected lawmaker with zero votes behind him stop the oath-taking of a few lawmakers with 100,000+ votes behind them!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    What makes you think the 2 seats would go to Beijing's corner? The only "outrage" I have seen are by the usual pro-Beijing stooges. People on the pro-dem front, and certainly the more radical ones will probably be more emboldened to vote for them now!

Certainly it's disgusting to see a non-elected lawmaker with zero votes behind him stop the oath-taking of a few lawmakers with 100,000+ votes behind them!
    If there is a bi-election they are are probably blocked from running for not genuinely loving Shina. All surrogate candidates might be blocked on the same grounds as well, no ?

I think they will eventually be allowed to re-take the oath and that those two will effectively be forced to back down and do it to the letter. If they start fannying around again after all this, they'd probably lose more support.

Don't see this as a bad play from the pro-gov lot. Seems experience counts when playing these political games.

Had CY not made a fuss, I think many would consider these two to be jokers and dismiss them. When CY made a fuss, they became martyrs and now probably have more support than when elected, and certainly more than they had when their antics were first published. I certainly thought at the time they were idiots. NOW we see that they uncovered the real strength of opposition against anything remotely democratic in HK. So, I thank them for their idiocy. Only time will tell whether it wold have been better to get in and fight from the inside, or get kicked out and use that to highlight the hypocrisy of our current government.

mrgoodkat and DirtyHairy like this.

Anyone can fight from the outside, they were in a position to take the fight inside and ballsed it up to score a few cheap shots.

Yes, they probably have more support now but they also have more people against them. There are those who dismissed them as young troublemakers before who now believe they have insulted all chinese people around the world.

There is a protest outside legco today against them retaking their oaths.

shri likes this.

Misguided youth

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    There is a protest outside legco today against them retaking their oaths.
    It's not a protest but a "protest". Just the usual Beijing united front holding mass dimsum lunches etc. for the elderly. Just saw some interviews with some of this geriatric lot on Nowtv and they hardly seemed to know what exactly they were there for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    holding mass dimsum lunches etc. for the elderly.
    Free dim sum lunch for standing around outside a building. Where do I sign Up

"Protesters" were actually drafted in from China, and then stole a journalist's memory card when exposed:

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/10/2...y-card-stolen/

Says it all.

Mefisto likes this.