Like Tree14Likes

MTR fares should be adjusted according to operator’s profits (which means lowering them)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MTR fares should be adjusted according to operator’s profits (which means lowering them)

Hong Kong railway fares should be adjusted according to operator’s profits, consultation finds | South China Morning Post

What do you guys think? i think the metro in Hong Kong works pretty good, but it's not exactly cheap and you easily spend 20$ just going a few stations off for groceries and coming back.

I realised yesterday that going from North Point (for example) to the border is a whopping 49.6$.

You can go to China for under $50 and you find that expensive?

Rob2020 likes this.

$50 would get you from Leceister Sq to Picadilly Circus in London which is a 5 min walk!

emx and Ofnpanad like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    You can go to China for under $50 and you find that expensive?
    expensive.
    The last stop costs many $$ extra

Quote Originally Posted by Castlevania:
    I realised yesterday that going from North Point (for example) to the border is a whopping 49.6$.
    $46.6 for the canny traveller!

(If you want to save a few $ you get the "wrong" train - ie Lok Ma Chau when you want to go to Lo Wu. Get off and swipe out at Sheung Shui, come straight back in again and take the next train to your actual desired border crossing stop).

All this aside, MTR is damn cheap - any accusations otherwise are from expats who mentally equate HKD to USD or GBP values. That said, if they make a ton of money it wouldn't hurt to demonstrably give something back with better facilities or, the minimum effort solution, lower fares.

Original Post Deleted
    Shenzhen ....
    Skyhook likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Related question. Should MTR as a property developer be separated from MTR as a transport operator?

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    $50 would get you from Leceister Sq to Picadilly Circus in London which is a 5 min walk!
    TFL runs a deficit though, whereas MTR made 11 billion HKD profit. Being majority government owned, I.e. a public company they shouldn't make any profit, no matter how they are funded. It's Public transport after all.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma Police:
    Shenzhen ....
    Cheap copy la of the MTR la.

Don't the poor already receive a travel subsidy from the government? I know they have it rough, all 1.5m of them, but I'm quite certain there is a mechanism in place to reduce their travel costs to work?

Also, public transport is almost free if you're 65 plus in this city. That's the green octopus card. Kids get a discount, too

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast