6 46.15%
  • No - especially those who need 'help' to travel

1 7.69%
  • Yes - sometimes

4 30.77%
  • Yes - sometimes but not if they look a 'professional beggar"

2 15.38%
Like Tree11Likes

Do you give money to beggars from the mainland?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Not HK, but there are a group of beggars at one of the junctions near here. One morning I saw them all unloading from a very nice people carrier.

Gave $50 to a mainlander woman squatting outside the Holiday Inn a few nights ago and she demanded $1200. Found out she was not a beggar but a hooker. Its getting hard to tell these days with so many of them around TST.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    It is ok if you can claim love and kindness.
    Giving money to a mainland beggar should probaby of been political suicide as it shows you are completely unaware of the growing issue of illegal beggars (workers) from the mainland. This coupled with not knowing how to use an Octopus card or where to buy toilet roll would probably be too much for a 'normal' candidate. But luckily the mainstream press in Hong Kong isn't very rabid and the SCMP even had a piece praising Ms Lam's out-of-touchness as an interesting quirk.

Since when has any leader needed to be in touch with what regular people do, want, need or appreciate.

A long as they feed us cake every now and then, we will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I never give to beggars, ever. All it does it encourage them to beg rather than get off their asses and do something useful. Buskers are different - they are working for their money, so I would give to them.
    I would like to know where you draw that line. On the bridge leading up to Exchange Square in Central, I sometimes see a very short man who looks mentally handicapped, he's got a microphone and speaker and its playing some song. He's not singing, and I doubt he can actually sing, so would he be a busker?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Giving money to a mainland beggar should probaby of been political suicide as it shows you are completely unaware of the growing issue of illegal beggars (workers) from the mainland. This coupled with not knowing how to use an Octopus card or where to buy toilet roll would probably be too much for a 'normal' candidate. But luckily the mainstream press in Hong Kong isn't very rabid and the SCMP even had a piece praising Ms Lam's out-of-touchness as an interesting quirk.
    Is there anything you wouldn't politicize?
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Since when has any leader needed to be in touch with what regular people do, want, need or appreciate.

A long as they feed us cake every now and then, we will be fine.
    They really don't need a common touch to be an effective leader. It is the trying to pretend and failing that probably just shows bad judgement.
    shri and jayinhongkong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    I would like to know where you draw that line. On the bridge leading up to Exchange Square in Central, I sometimes see a very short man who looks mentally handicapped, he's got a microphone and speaker and its playing some song. He's not singing, and I doubt he can actually sing, so would he be a busker?
    There used to be a guy up the 90's who looked like he had no legs..just stubs. One night I left work around midnight and say him merrily walking away after counting wads of cash.
    jayinhongkong likes this.