Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By shri

The Resurrection of Sir Murray Maclehose

The Resurrection of Sir Murray Maclehose

A timely article, begging for the resurrection of one HK's great governors, Sir Murray Maclehose.

To encourage business, he drove the development of the MTR, major New Territories highways, and flyovers and underpasses at choke points. He established the new towns of Sha Tin and Tuen Mun and created the ICAC, making Hong Kong the cleanest city in Asia for the last 40 years. Most importantly, Chinese was recognised as an official language.

He revolutionised social policies for the ordinary Hongkonger battling the objections of the factory owners; the property developers of today. He set up a massive public housing programme, and the Home Ownership Scheme. He introduced the Labour Ordinance, with paid holidays, worker redundancy payments, Labour Tribunals, sickness allowances and weekly rest days; all to support the lowest paid.
    The list goes on...

Hong Kong needs another Sir Murray Maclehose | South China Morning Post

Things that randomly show up on my feeds...

Lady Maclehose passed on the 16th of Feb.

The Lady MacLehose of Beoch Squeak (Margaret Noel) (nee Dunlop) On 16th February 2020, The Lady MacLehose of Beoch (nee Dunlop) Squeak (Margaret Noel) died peacefully in her 100th year. Widow of the late Baron MacLehose of Beoch KT, past Governor of Hong Kong, mother of the late Elfrida S. Wedgwood and Sylvia M. Sandeman, grandmother to Richard, Lois and Emma, great-grandmother to Max Watts and Emily Wedgwood.
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/annou...el_Mac_Lehose/

A number of community centers and facilities have been named after her in HK.

Randomly the Lady Maclehose holiday camp is a quarantine site.

This randomly lead me to search Gwulo for some more random information. Came across this comment...

Some time circa 1976, that Governor's Rolls ran over a dog somewhere along Caine Road. It was said that Sir Murray Maclehose alighted and ordered his bodyguard to put the injured dog out of its miseries by shooting it on the spot. I wonder if the incident was reported as 'Police Open Fire!'
    I guess those were simpler times. I don't think this would be possible given our current 'social situation'.

https://gwulo.com/atom/15226