Like Tree222Likes

Fire in Tsim Sha Tsui - MTR closed

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Agree with chuckster007, staggeringly sad that nobody went for the dry chemical fire extinguishers at hand to put the fires out and just stood around watching them burn.

Weird to me how people reacted...

Last edited by Skyhook; 10-02-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    saw the videos, WTF ppl walking around taking videos and pictures, MTR staff walking around, HOW THE FUCK DO THEY NOT KNOW WHERE THE FIRE EXTINGUISHERS are FFS.

I would be spraying every muther fecker with the extinguishers regardless if your on fire or not. fuck your phones and fancy bags if it gets damaged. IDIOTS!!!!!

Each carriage has 4 minimum. Jesus Christ FFS.
    This is the average Hongkonger mentality which is what the entire place is headed down the fucking shitter.
    Last edited by shri; 11-02-2017 at 05:36 AM.
    Skyhook, mrgoodkat and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    It's really an awful culture here, and elsewhere I guess, to take photos in the case of an emergency. In my opinion no one should EVER take a photo if someone is in need and there is a critical situation. Have been so pissed off when I've seen people taking photos of a car accident instead of going to check that the people are OK.

And then it's simply disgusting that these photos are being posted online so we can all gawk at the situation. Awful...

It used to be called photojournalism and people got awards. Now everyone has access to a camera it's called disgusting and an awful culture, how times change...

A thread about a potentially mentally disturbed individual who may have tried to burn people to death on the train segues into a discussion on race and racial slurs. Also the "HK is shit" sentiment.

Welcome to GeoExpat. We just need the guy to be a mainlander then we'll hit a trifecta.

Horrible thing to happen, not sure when the fire was started but imagine if the train stopped while it was in the tunnel? Could have been much worse.

Any thoughts on what the repercussions might be? I mean, a kid brought in a metal balloon that caused a stoppage like 20 years ago, now they're banned.

Seems the fire was intentionally set, I hope they don't go full-TSA and make people chuck liquids before entering the paid area... Or maybe igniters like lighters/matches would be taken away instead?

And if he was found to be mentally disturbed, then maybe people will focus on the root of the problem and have better help for the mentally ill in the city? (hahahahah, yeah right)

As for the bystander effect... the behaviour has existed, and the term coined, long before this incident and long before mobile phones, is all I have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    This is the average Hongkonger mentality which is what the entire place is headed down the fucking shitter.
    More than one non-HK person was on the the scene and they were acting the same. Can you name a country where people would have reacted better?

The truly messed up people are those that use incidents like this to ride around on a moral high horse thinking they're better than HKers.
    DirtyHairy and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    More than one non-HK person was on the the scene and they were acting the same. Can you name a country where people would have reacted better?

The truly messed up people are those that use incidents like this to ride around on a moral high horse thinking they're better than HKers.
    Nothing to do with being better than HKers, this sort of moral-high ground behaviour happens everywhere online. The problem is putting people into little identity boxes so we can think we are better than them, we are all just people. Reminds me of this ad:

https://youtu.be/jD8tjhVO1Tc
    HK_Katherine, spode and imparanoic like this.

No training to Mtr staff on putting out fires or caring for the injured. They do train them on how to exceed capacity limits thus hindering safety.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    To answer your question, there are a few countries where people would be required (by law) to react better (if they would is a totally different question) and might end up in court if they do nothing or film instead of grabbing a fire extinguisher that is just metes away or attend to an insured person. I guess it depends on the individual situation though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue
    Last edited by 100LL; 11-02-2017 at 09:17 AM.

@100LL - I guess that is something derived from a categorical imperative?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast