Like Tree222Likes

Fire in Tsim Sha Tsui - MTR closed

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Guess you'll make more money by selling the footage to the media or posting it on your blog and get more traffic.

Being a hero has less rewards I guess

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @100LL - I guess that is something derived from a categorical imperative?
    Kant, not cunt
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Guess you'll make more money by selling the footage to the media or posting it on your blog and get more traffic.

Being a hero has less rewards I guess
    Depends on your value system.

Worth a thought... Circles of Concern vs Control. Both are needed in society to a certain extent. Social interwebs train your brain differently...

Teaching and learning moment for some...

TheBrit, dddc and Apjace like this.

I'm the latter.
    If I can help then I will, If I can't then I'll do my best to get somebody that can.

Skyhook likes this.

You are a great person. Well done.

TheBrit likes this.

Problem is that trying to act with no knowledge can sometimes be worse than doing nothing. There was a photo of a
    member of MTR staff approaching the carriage with a water fire extinguisher. Lucky he didn't use it or could have been a lot worse. Who else would have just grabbed any extinguisher and used it regardless?

TheBrit, shri and rsndl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    More than one non-HK person was on the the scene and they were acting the same. Can you name a country where people would have reacted better?

The truly messed up people are those that use incidents like this to ride around on a moral high horse thinking they're better than HKers.
    Completely agree.

Everyone thinks they will be a hero in a time of sudden extreme physical & emotional distress but in reality most of us are paralyzed by shock and panic.

I've some friends back home who are ex-military. I think folks like that would have reacted with bravery & logic. The rest of us - don't think so.
    rsndl likes this.

Did nobody see that the people helped the man to put out the flames? Therefore, they fulfilled their duty of rescue. They removed the mortal danger.

After the flames were out, nobody knew what to do. How does one treat fire wounds? Would you put alcohol wipes on his wounds? Is it safe to touch severely burnt skin? It's common knowledge not to move the injured as one is not aware of what internal injuries may have taken place. He's also the perpetrator, so his actions are also unpredictable. Is it safe to get close to him?

As to the fire, it's in a small space. It's dangerous to run inside the train looking for the fire extinguisher. The danger of carbon monoxide poisoning are very real. Going in there without expertise and without anyone being in mortal danger just seems silly to me.

I've worked in chemical plants, where I was objected to 3 full days of rigid safety training. All the behaviour I see in this video is correct. There's no safety manual in the world that describes that one should subject themselves to danger if not necessary.

shri, spode, rsndl and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    I've some friends back home who are ex-military. I think folks like that would have reacted with bravery & logic. The rest of us - don't think so.
    Actually, they may also just stood there, realizing that without proper safety equipment that this would be outside their line of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Actually, they may also just stood there, realizing that without proper safety equipment that this would be outside their line of duty.
    Nope. Dry fire extinguishers would have been grabbed sooner or later.

In any case, my point is most of us humans become paralyzed morons when shit hits the fan.
    monomono and rickyross like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast