Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kimwy66

Beverage bottle & can recycling

Closed Thread

Beverage bottle & can recycling

Many countries have a simple deposit scheme for beverage bottles and cans

Would this work in HK?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...7111616833.jpg

Last edited by East_coast; 23-02-2017 at 10:13 AM.

It would be too logical here.

If you make recycling easy and profitable then you will deprive many 85-yr-olds of enough money to buy a meal. If they aren't out pushing trolleys and dodging death on the roads, they won't be as fit and will not be able to enjoy their old age...

shri and TheBrit like this.

I see old ladies digging through bins around town, looking for cans / bottles. I see the local recycler's trucks come around our estate and the helpers giving them 100-200 kgs of newspapers, cans etc, every Sunday morning.

Not sure if we have reached the UK participation rate of 57% - which is quite good.

Do we really need a govt legislated solution?

It already exists and works - some glass bottles sold at 7-11 have a deposit which is refunded if you return the bottle the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    It already exists and works - some glass bottles sold at 7-11 have a deposit which is refunded if you return the bottle the shop.
    It is not mandatory and is only used by some companies that have high value bottles. For most F&B brands find it easier to produce low cost disposable packaging and let society pay for the landfill costs.

Back home in Melbourne and in Paris, we have dedicated recycle wheelie bins issued to each home owner on top of a normal wheelie bin. So it's just something society living in these places do. And it works very well. We also have a hard rubbish pick up organised a couple of times a year where you can leave larger items like old sofas and tired ikea furniture, bags of grass clippings etc on the nature strip out front of your home, saving you a trip to the tip.

Also in France at the supermarket, they don't have any free plastic bags available at the till/register so so you are forced to bring your own. The supermarkets are also forced to give food ( dented tinned food etc) that's still safe/edible to the poor'(neighbourhood food banks) instead of throwing it all in the bin.

I find people back home in both locations to be pretty good when it comes to recycling awareness and participation.

I do not agree that a city that is as insanely rich as Hong Kong, has a % of its elderly population, rummaging through garbage cans to make some money to survive.

That would be really embarrassing to me... Seems Hong Kongers are very good at turning a blind eye...

Last edited by Skyhook; 23-02-2017 at 11:31 AM.