View Poll Results: Where should foreigners be allowed to work in the law?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nowhere

0 0%
  • Lawyers

0 0%
  • Lawyers & Barristers

1 6.25%
  • Lawyers, Barristers & Junior Judges

0 0%
  • Lawyers, Barristers, Junior Judges & Senior Judges

10 62.50%
  • Anywhere except anything politically sensitive

5 31.25%
Like Tree13Likes

Should Hong Kong have foreigners working in the legal system?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Eg. ...and China don't allow foreign lawyers to represent clients in court.
    True. Often true for domestic lawyers too.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Yes that's what I'm talking about. Foreign citizens who studied in the US and passed the local state bar. Just because they have local qualifications doesn't change the fact that they are foreign.
    AFAIK, foreign non-permanent judges don't have to pass the bar in HK to be able to sit on a trial. They only have to be from another common law jurisdiction.

(4) A person shall be eligible to be appointed as a judge from another common law jurisdiction if he is-
    (a) a judge or retired judge of a court of unlimited jurisdiction in either civil or criminal matters in another common law jurisdiction;
    (b) a person who is ordinarily resident outside Hong Kong; and
    (c) a person who has never been a judge of the High Court, a District Judge or a permanent magistrate, in Hong Kong.
    Doesn't say anything about having to pass the HK bar or having studied HK law at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Doesn't say anything about having to pass the HK bar or having studied HK law at all.
    OK so what you meant was foreign qualified lawyers/judges. Not foreign as in holding a non-HK passport.

Again its just racist, nationalistic, xenophobic attitudes of the CCP.

OK having just looked at SCMP guess it's in relation to this topic

Beijing throws the book at Hong Kong’s foreign judges | South China Morning Post

Original Post Deleted
    Its rather really ironic. The reason that HK has survived so long the way it has is because cashed up corrupt CCP officials and their offspring are able to use HK as a money laundering centre. It works because HK is full of big banks, accounts firms and law firms, etc and they are comfortable being in HK because of its independent judiciary and strong rule of law. Here I'm not talking about the day to day lawlessness that pisses us of but the big money shit that these corporate care about (like being able to enforcement judgements against a minority shareholder, etc). The minute the independent judiciary and strong rule of law gets eroded the legitimised money washers (i.e. big banks, accounts firms and law firms, etc) will leave and the corrupt CCP types will not be able to launder their money so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Again its just racist, nationalistic, xenophobic attitudes of the CCP.
    Racist, nationalistic and xenophobic are all the rage these days. If it's good enough for the US and UK then why not China?
    rickyross likes this.

I'll declare that I do have an anti-police streak. I just can't understand people who declare in the media that the police did NOTHING wrong. To these people the video evidence and facts of what happened at the police station are somehow invisible. (or to be denied ad infinitum!) It's a short leap from this dim-wittedness to then blame the legal system for its more balanced judgement of what went down.

Paxbritannia likes this.

Are we talking about Hong Kong here?

If so, then the question doesn't make sense.

All residents of Hong Kong can work in law or any other field - just like any other resident.

Article 33 of the Basic Law states that

Hong Kong residents shall have freedom of choice of occupation.

The definition of resident is found in Article 24

And,

Article 25

All Hong Kong residents shall be equal before the law.

I imagine there are others that would also apply...so, read the other articles.

After all, the Basic Law decides - not an online opinion poll, I'm afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by jeezcanada:
    After all, the Basic Law decides - not an online opinion poll, I'm afraid...
    In the same way that Beijing can't interfere in local elections they won't target the judiciary.

Two posters that are always aligned with current beijing policy have voted that foreign judges should be deselected on cases the government wants to win.