Like Tree37Likes

World War II Hong Kong battle site ‘trashed’ and covered in French graffiti

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Yeah showing you are ignorant about history is a big flag here. Wonder how they got their independence from?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France...olutionary_War

Plutark likes this.

Yes it was said that the French tanks were the only ones with four reverse gears

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I thought the French were actually more strict with their kids than some nations. But I guess the type of person who ends up at a private international school has rich parents probably not giving them enough time. Expel the kid and make the parents clean up.
    Given FIS is at the lower end ($wise) of the Int School...that's pretty rubbish, but okay

Name:  viva_la_penis_by_earbyter.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  195.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    And it struck both my husband and I that they things they were saying and the way they were saying it was quite different to how we had been at that age (I'd say they were 16-17 ish). It reminded me of my cousins who also went to uk private (lol Public) schools. Perhaps wrong to blame the parents entirely, but those kids do get quite odd I think. And seem to think they are above the law.
    Shocking, things now are different than 30 years ago...oh wait :-)
    rathunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    I wonder if a certain private Gallic institute located nearby might have something to do with it?

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/03/2...ered-graffiti/
    Funny, must be the first time HK gives a shit about something historical.
    Usually they would destroy it to put a mall and a few 7/11.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Maybe it wasn't FIS kids. It could have been one or more of the Francophone asylum seekers/ torture claimants/ refugees (of which there are plenty in town) ...
    [exit stage left]
    J'accuse Our resident Frenchman

who conducts regular guided tours of Hong Kong battle sites, told HKFP that he first discovered the graffiti and rubbish at the West Brigade headquarters around ten days ago.
    Is the dude blind? I went through the Shing Mun bunkers (The Gin Drinkers Line) a decade ago and it was filled with rubbish and stinking of piss. The graffiti might be new, the rest certainly isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Funny, must be the first time HK gives a shit about something historical.
    Usually they would destroy it to put a mall and a few 7/11.
    True, but the difference is, it was most likely defaced by a small group of privileged expat kids in a foreign language and not neglected by the government at large like most HK historic sites.

I'd expect a few snide comments, at the very least, if some historic war site in France was defaced by some nouveau riche Mainland kids.
    jonastainine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Is the dude blind? I went through the Shing Mun bunkers (The Gin Drinkers Line) a decade ago and it was filled with rubbish and stinking of piss. The graffiti might be new, the rest certainly isn't.
    You should go back. Shing Mun bunkers have been cleaned (no idea by who) and they are very nice these days.
    rickyross likes this.