Like Tree33Likes

RIP - Hong Kong Man Dies Falling Onto Tracks Sheung Shui MTR Station

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenna:
    According to MTR, the train service was affected between 07:39 and 08:19. I got to Fotan station to catch the 08:21 departing “empty” train towards Hung Hom, and nothing was running normally. The 08:21 was cancelled, and there was long queue to get to the train. Once boarded, there were delays between every station, and I finally arrived to work in TST 15 minutes late. MTR has interesting way of defining “affected” train service.
    If being 15 minutes late (because someone just died) upsets you don't catch trains in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Hong Kong is a shit place to live if you're old and poor. That is the stark reality for a large number of old people in this town.

You have the gumption to argue that it isn't ? Pray you never become disabled or suffer a career ending health issue pal, because, Hong Kong won't give a rat's arsehole about you, should you become less fortunate than your, coddled, uni educated, millennial lfe has privileged you so far..

You can tell most about a city's/country's core values, by how it demonstratedly looks after its old and its less fortunate.
    Just to be clear, I'm not a millennial.

HK may well be a shit place to live for disabled people but the jump from "old guy falling on the train tracks" to "he must have killed himself because HK is a shit place to live" without any other factors seems a bit of a leap.

You know, speaking of places not to live when you're old and poor, America is sadly going down that path as well. Republicans are cutting healthcare and are also planning to cut social security and meals on wheels, programs which all benefit the poor, sick, elderly and disabled.

Poor baby boomers and the privileges their comfortable post-war economy lives have brought them!

Column: Trump's budget and GOP health care bill will hurt older Americans | PBS NewsHour

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    You know, speaking of places not to live when you're old and poor, America is sadly going down that path as well. Republicans are cutting healthcare and are also planning to cut social security and meals on wheels, programs which all benefit the poor, sick, elderly and disabled.

Poor baby boomers and the privileges their comfortable post-war economy lives have brought them!

Column: Trump's budget and GOP health care bill will hurt older Americans | PBS NewsHour
    True to some degree. The US has universal healthcare for seniors. It's called Medicare. It turns out people who are 65 and above are healthier than people in their 50s.
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    The US has universal healthcare for seniors. It's called Medicare.
    Sadly that could change today, as the House votes on the American Health Care Act, which would repeal most of the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) and if that happens, it would wipe away the Medicaid expansion which would cover 14 million people. In addition, Trump is also supporting a bill that would remove a key Medicare funding source, which means that part of Medicare's fund would go insolvent earlier and Medicare would have to pay less to providers for senior healthcare. The Republicans are adamant that they're not cutting Medicare, just cutting its funding by a few billion and removing coverage for a couple million people.

Really unfortunate to hear but we'll just have to see how it goes.

Hardly newsworthy. Who cares. Such a small town mindset in this 'city'.

if person surrender to despair, eventually attempt to suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    Cant you just fuck off to marine le Pen land already...
    Marine Le Pen, WILL get into power, because of the civically uninvolved, bourgeoisie, just like you...

In short...
    You will get the government that your lack of civic involvement, deserves...

Good day to you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Hong Kong is a shit place to live if you're old and poor. That is the stark reality for a large number of old people in this town.
    I'm sure that it is a sh*t place, if you're old, poor, and alone.
    what strikes me, though, is that families are much more willing to take care of their eldest members here than they are back in the US. We put people in old folks' homes and don't think much of it. Here, they seem to keep everyone at home as long as they can. I find it very respectful.
    rickyross and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    I'm sure that it is a sh*t place, if you're old, poor, and alone.
    what strikes me, though, is that families are much more willing to take care of their eldest members here than they are back in the US. We put people in old folks' homes and don't think much of it. Here, they seem to keep everyone at home as long as they can. I find it very respectful.
    You have obviously never seen an old peoples home in HK.

On the HK-is-shit-place topic - suicides happen in all societies for a wide number of reasons. Nothing HK specific here.
    rickyross likes this.