Like Tree39Likes

HK$640M to celebrate HK's handover anniversary

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

You know, for a forum catered to people making expat wages, living in private housing, with maids and international school for the kids, it's ironic just how much we like to criticize the government for "benefiting the rich". Guess it's easier to blame the government while enjoying those very same privileges the HK gov't grants us. Gotta have your cake and eat it too, right guys?

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    You know, for a forum catered to people making expat wages, living in private housing, with maids and international school for the kids, it's ironic just how much we like to criticize the government for "benefiting the rich". Guess it's easier to blame the government while enjoying those very same privileges the HK gov't grants us. Gotta have your cake and eat it too, right guys?
    The government's nepotism, cronyism, collusion and corruption have nothing to do with expats.

#self-made
    kimwy66 and Skyhook like this.

I think Hemlock has the right take on this. Lots of money being spent, but a fair amount of it is being spent on events that would have happened anyway. But, say the events are to celebrate the anniversary of the handover to keep our friends in Beijing happy.

Your tax dollars at work | Big Lychee, Various Sectors

shri and rickyross like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    The government's nepotism, cronyism, collusion and corruption have nothing to do with expats.

#self-made
    Of course. I wasn't implying that.

I was saying that it's hypocritical to criticize the government for their focus (or the lack thereof) on certain policies - e.g. international schools, live-in FDHs, low minimum wage, etc. - that benefit us expats too. You may not have needed these benefits at all but others sure have.

......gala dinners or receptions
    .......great value for money, tens of millions to spent wining and dining the right folks
    Char Siu King likes this.

Seems to me it would be pretty easy to frame this stuff as celebrating 20 years of the SAR, of Hong Kong's success and stature on the world stage and as Asia's World City. Without needing to get into any nasty independence-type stuff, make it a positive summer festival with something for everyone in HK, including locals and welcome visitors...

rickyross, shri, hullexile and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    What I see is tourism, which makes up 5% of GDP and employs 280000 people. It's been sluggish in recent years. Why not use the anniversary to give the sector a nudge? Nobody comes to see a 5/10m celebration.
    Wow, you really are that naïve (or delusional).

Whatever is proposed by the gvt will not by any means increase tourism significantly. Simply because whatever is proposed, is not touristy enough. If you think people will flock to HK to see a Louvre exhibition....you are really living in a parallel universe. Same with the world snooker etc etc.

I am NOT against the gvt but you have to stop trying to see all initiative as positive.

Hong Kong needs A LOT more right now than some low key events (yes that is what it is) to boost its economy/tourism.

People fly to NYC, PARIS, LONDON, BERLIN etc to visit beautiful exhibition and museum.....Hong Kong...not so much.

What's wrong with The Louvre? What, you have a problem with the French or something?
    Nothing against the French but they played a major role indeed in the HK Handover. just like the Egyptians did.
    shri likes this.

Making expat wages = cos we work yes
    living in rivate estate - cos we pay for it
    Maids - we pay for it
    International School - we pay for it

None of the above is granted by the HK gvt...

and we pay taxes. and while I may be decently well off it is appealing to me that the money I pay in taxes is used by the gvt in this way instead of being used towards helping people who need it more.

I don't need a snooker world championship, but the Yau Ma Tai subdivided flat family living on one income a month with two kids, certainly doesn't either, and would be quite happy with more initiative from the Gvt on this handover anniversary year to assist them.
    shri, JAherbert, Cwbguy and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Making expat wages = cos we work yes
    living in rivate estate - cos we pay for it
    Maids - we pay for it
    International School - we pay for it

None of the above is granted by the HK gvt...

and we pay taxes. and while I may be decently well off it is appealing to me that the money I pay in taxes is used by the gvt in this way instead of being used towards helping people who need it more.

I don't need a snooker world championship, but the Yau Ma Tai subdivided flat family living on one income a month with two kids, certainly doesn't either, and would be quite happy with more initiative from the Gvt on this handover anniversary year to assist them.
    I think a $10 minimum wage increase is much better. A security guard working 60 hrs per week, can make an additional $30000 per year for his family. Much better than the $500 single handout that you're proposing. With my plan, we can still enjoy the snooker and cycling championships. No need to sacrifice.
    shri likes this.