Like Tree65Likes

Bus pile-up injures 70 in Yuen Long

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Toronto's terrible. We got folks from every corner of the world and everybody kind of does their own thing. And pedestrians cross wherever they like downtown.
    Agree there. I don't find the driving much different from Hong Kong. Probably goes for many major cities. Paris, Rome, DH complaining about London, Seoul, Taipei, KL, etc. People just drive more aggressive when traffic gets tight. Same in Hong Kong. Much easier to drive in the NT vs HK island.
    DirtyHairy likes this.

Lots of fuckery in this thread.

This Montreal woman stopped to let ducklings on a highway pass, and caused the death of a 50 year old father and his 16 year daughter who were riding on a motorcycle. Let me guess - if those two were riding a safe distance behind her, they would still be alive, and it's totally not the woman's fault who stopped in the middle of a fucking highway right?

Emma Czornobaj, who stopped for ducks causing 2 deaths, appeals sentence - Montreal - CBC News

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    Wouldn't surprise me if some third world African countries have worse driving...
    This is a major intersection in Ethiopia...no lights or anything, shit just works

DirtyHairy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    This is a major intersection in Ethiopia...no lights or anything, shit just works

Funnily enough, when I lived in Sweden some towns had started experimenting with removing all signs and traffic lights believing it's safer...I'll see if I can find a link...

Funnily enough, when I lived in Sweden some towns had started experimenting with removing all signs and traffic lights believing it's safer...I'll see if I can find a link...
    They're doing the same in Holland, it is actually safer once you remove all the excessive sign clutter from the road and just let people decide for themselves or drive on the side of caution when they are are unsure.
    DirtyHairy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:

Ethiopia - 25.3 traffic-related deaths per year per 100,000 population

UK - 2.9 deaths per year per 100,000 population

Yeah, that shit just works...

Incidentally -

China 18.8 deaths per year per 100,000 population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate
    TheBrit, DirtyHairy, spode and 1 others like this.

Point is, Africa doesn't have the worse drivers, at least it doesn't look like it from the gif. Not a single accident in that clusterfuck. Also it's clear that you don't have any experience driving in Africa

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    UK - 2.9 deaths per year per 100,000 population
    Hong Kong - 1.7 deaths per year per 100,000 population

Fantastic driving over here.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:

That's pretty low. Are those stats. the whole population? My meaning is, I expect quite a large section of HK's population is hardly ever on the road...either way...I would have guessed the death rate would be much lower than places like Laos/Vietnam and Bali where I saw some pretty horrendous crashes (lorries versus multiple motorbikes, etc...) in only a very short period of time in each place...

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:

Which is of course totally meaningless, because HK is a city with 1000km of roads, most of which are designated with speeds of less than 70kph. Of course there are less deaths, because you can't kill someone travelling at 30kph in Central. Which is why in comparison tables for road safety, HK isn't listed separately, because you aren't comparing like for like. And it isn't a country.

UK, on the other hand, has 344,000 kilometres of roads, because it is a country, not a city. Ethiopia had 122,000 km, because it is a country.

Statistics, meaningless in the hands of politicians and idiots.
    TheBrit, DirtyHairy and Skyhook like this.