Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36
Like Tree139Likes

Belt & Road

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Neither of these state the current level of debt is the primary issue, they both focus on the unequal terms and then point to other countries that have taken on too much debt as what could happen. I am not sure what your argument is?
    Oh come on EC. Just look at the headlines. Yes they are not saying the Philippines is about to default tomortow, what they are clearly saying is that risk is there in the future - except it isn't outside of "the moon could turn out to be an alien spaceship waiting to attack earth" type probabilities. But if you want to continue arguing that no one is talking about the Philippines having fallen into a Chinese debt trap (despite that being the headline) what can I say. I am glad you agree that the Philippines is not in or likely to be in a debt trap.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Oh come on EC. Just look at the headlines. Yes they are not saying the Philippines is about to default tomortow, what they are clearly saying is that risk is there in the future - except it isn't outside of "the moon could turn out to be an alien spaceship waiting to attack earth" type probabilities. But if you want to continue arguing that no one is talking about the Philippines having fallen into a Chinese debt trap (despite that being the headline) what can I say. I am glad you agree that the Philippines is not in or likely to be in a debt trap.
    I read past the headlinse

The one states
    "Manageable debt is no excuse for government to indiscriminately sign demonstrably onerous Chinese loan agreements. "

The other states
    Can the Philippines pay up? Lambino said the total debt of the Philippines to China is only 4.5% of the total debt.
    "Our debt with Japan is 9.5%. Kayang-kaya nating bayaran ang mga utang na ito (we can easily pay up these debts)," he said.

Again both look at the unequal terms in the loan agreement as there principle focus and one of them explains what has happened in countries that couldn't afford to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    I read past the headlinse

The one states
    "Manageable debt is no excuse for government to indiscriminately sign demonstrably onerous Chinese loan agreements. "

The other states
    Can the Philippines pay up? Lambino said the total debt of the Philippines to China is only 4.5% of the total debt.
    "Our debt with Japan is 9.5%. Kayang-kaya nating bayaran ang mga utang na ito (we can easily pay up these debts)," he said.

Again both look at the unequal terms in the loan agreement as there principle focus and one of them explains what has happened in countries that couldn't afford to pay.
    So if you read past the headlines you got to the second line "puts at risk our national resources and strategic assets". How are they put at risk? Because the Philippines has fallen into the Chinese debt trap and the only way that works if is the Philippines defaults. It is good of you to quote the government rebuttal (not that a Rappler reader would believe that) but that is not the core of either article is it? What is the fndamental concern raised in each article - by the communist party in one and the Liberal Party in the other?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    So if you read past the headlines you got to the second line "puts at risk our national resources and strategic assets". How are they put at risk? Because the Philippines has fallen into the Chinese debt trap and the only way that works if is the Philippines defaults. It is good of you to quote the government rebuttal (not that a Rappler reader would believe that) but that is not the core of either article is it? What is the fndamental concern raised in each article - by the communist party in one and the Liberal Party in the other?
    Both articles state a trap has been laid (unequal terms) but unlikely to be fallen into. If you want to read between the lines about various political parties to get a different comprehension that is your prerogative. I have only the articles to read.

This official twitter post from HSBC went about as well as you'd expect! Hilarious.

https://twitter.com/antd/status/1130745767591677952

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts
    This official twitter post from HSBC went about as well as you'd expect! Hilarious.

https://twitter.com/antd/status/1130745767591677952
    Just one positive comment. Time for Article 23 or more Wumaos on twitter

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36