Like Tree166Likes

Belt & Road

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

@East_coast - Bet you'll like this one...

Now explain to me - whats the silk road doing in the middle of the belt and road? Will the belt be made from silk?

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 8.34.42 AM.png
Views: 566
Size:  34.6 KB

Original Post Deleted
    Of course, but no different than the alternative of IMF/World Bank/EU loans on offer. Just look at Greece.

hullexile likes this.

The map is out of date, it now includes the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The map is out of date, it now includes the Philippines.
    ...and Nepal as well.

OBOR: Nepal signs up to China's new Silk Road plan - The Economic Times
    hullexile likes this.

I think one of the biggest issues with the one belt concept is that China has yet to prove itself for taking care of the environment. With this plan, they will be heading towards some virgin land and bringing development. Are there any commitments in doing so to uphold high standards for environmental protection? At the same time, too, it sounds like a key purpose of it is to bring industrialization to new areas, like Colombo, yet as we choke on our air here in Hong Kong, I can't believe this will be done in the best manner possible (if that is even possible). Perhaps China is pushing polluting industries to these developing countries in need so that it can clean up its own country -- just passing the buck -- and perhaps there's no other way to do that except to pass on dirty industries for now.

I feel rather conflicted about Nepal. I've seen how painfully undeveloped it is and all problems that come with that, and a lot of the issue comes down to their lack of infrastructure, being landlocked and mountainous. It's just really damn hard to build good roads that can survive there, so little in the way of medicine and reliable food sources, for example, can be brought in. So while undeniably changing the natural environment of the border and Tibet, I can't help but wonder if this might be a good thing to help raise the living standards of people in Nepal. But because Nepal is so undeveloped, I've often thought it's an opportunity to "skip" an "generation" and develop it right in the most environmentally-friendly way possible. I don't think China will have that interest... best to visit Nepal now probably to enjoy one of the few unique countries left on this planet. :/

Then there is the issue with this one belt concept being used as an excuse to develop Hong Kong's undeveloped frontier, Lantau. Randy Yu, a district councilor who worked for Sino and Henderson Land and HYK guy, plainly said (even rudely, "it's coming whether or not you like it!") this in a secret public consultation for the 2030+ development plans.

My heart simply aches at the thought of China's ideas of development and prosperity now going to places that have hardly ever even seen humans. This idea of more, more, more in the way of industrialization and shopping malls is not really making any of us happier. And I trust that the one belt plan will definitely be sure to make a handful of Chinese tycoons richer, which we simply don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I think one of the biggest issues with the one belt concept is that China has yet to prove itself for taking care of the environment. With this plan, they will be heading towards some virgin land and bringing development. Are there any commitments in doing so to uphold high standards for environmental protection? At the same time, too, it sounds like a key purpose of it is to bring industrialization to new areas, like Colombo, yet as we choke on our air here in Hong Kong, I can't believe this will be done in the best manner possible (if that is even possible). Perhaps China is pushing polluting industries to these developing countries in need so that it can clean up its own country -- just passing the buck -- and perhaps there's no other way to do that except to pass on dirty industries for now.

I feel rather conflicted about Nepal. I've seen how painfully undeveloped it is and all problems that come with that, and a lot of the issue comes down to their lack of infrastructure, being landlocked and mountainous. It's just really damn hard to build good roads that can survive there, so little in the way of medicine and reliable food sources, for example, can be brought in. So while undeniably changing the natural environment of the border and Tibet, I can't help but wonder if this might be a good thing to help raise the living standards of people in Nepal. But because Nepal is so undeveloped, I've often thought it's an opportunity to "skip" an "generation" and develop it right in the most environmentally-friendly way possible. I don't think China will have that interest... best to visit Nepal now probably to enjoy one of the few unique countries left on this planet. :/

Then there is the issue with this one belt concept being used as an excuse to develop Hong Kong's undeveloped frontier, Lantau. Randy Yu, a district councilor who worked for Sino and Henderson Land and HYK guy, plainly said (even rudely, "it's coming whether or not you like it!") this in a secret public consultation for the 2030+ development plans.

My heart simply aches at the thought of China's ideas of development and prosperity now going to places that have hardly ever even seen humans. This idea of more, more, more in the way of industrialization and shopping malls is not really making any of us happier. And I trust that the one belt plan will definitely be sure to make a handful of Chinese tycoons richer, which we simply don't need.
    It will largely depend on how strong or desperate the countries are and how much they value the wellbeing of their people over their own pockets.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That argument collapses on the first line doesn't it?
    Are you suggesting China does not respect the One Country Two systems principle?

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    First - they introduce a topic they're adversarial to
    The topic was posted as there is a shindig that our CE is attending. It is current news

Second - they smear the topic by using scary music, deep tone, cynicism of the authority involved
    ??? The only word that some may describe as negative is perhaps 'dumping'. This is only negative for the dumpee and not the dumper. Perhaps the word offload could of been used but that would not take into account the probable outcome of making the industries in the recipient countries being harmed. There are pros and cons to this especially when looking at polluting heavy industry.

Third - when confronted, they want you to point to specific in black and white.
    Yes. And can you?

Fourth - when the argument doesn't go their way, they start insinuating something negative about the person they're speaking with.

Garbage culture.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    A growth at all costs model is not good for the long term health of a country or its people.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast