Like Tree54Likes

10 May - Pollution Warning

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

It can get worse...

At what point will people stop ignoring it? I'm a teacher at a local school, the only non-Chinese person, and it absolutely infuriates me that colleagues insist on opening the windows to let the "fresh" winter air in, when it's clearly anything but. "Oh, but we need ventilation!" And the air con they insist on blasting when the air quality is actually good doesn't provide said ventilation? It's perplexing.
    Not to mention the fact that children are breathing this crap in, with no school policies about air quality, is disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer:
    At what point will people stop ignoring it? I'm a teacher at a local school, the only non-Chinese person, and it absolutely infuriates me that colleagues insist on opening the windows to let the "fresh" winter air in, when it's clearly anything but. "Oh, but we need ventilation!" And the air con they insist on blasting when the air quality is actually good doesn't provide said ventilation? It's perplexing.
    Not to mention the fact that children are breathing this crap in, with no school policies about air quality, is disgraceful.
    That is something established by EDB, I think. Schools are required to provide proper air ventilation on every classroom by keeping at least one window open, even when it is cold or hot. My son's classroom has alway one window open on each side of the room... maybe not fully open, but at least not closed.
    Last edited by gataloca; 07-12-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, but when they turn off air purifiers and open the windows for "fresh" air... Where's the head banging against the wall emoji?

Quote Originally Posted by gataloca:
    That is something established by EDB, I think. Schools are required to provide proper air ventilation on every classroom by keeping at least one window open, even when it is cold or hot. My son's classroom has alway one window open on each side of the room... maybe not fully open, but at least not closed.
    Nope, windows are firmly closed in summer for air con. There's no EDB policy, only weak guidelines. From what my international school teacher friends say, those schools seem to actually have policies in place.

Original Post Deleted
    I don't think many local oned do. It's the only school I've ever worked at here that does, though it's also the only one that loves "fresh" air this much. They're all near the photocopiers, so I suspect it's in relation to that rather than anything about air pollution. Classrooms don't have any.

Not sure what the all the song and dance is about. Was up contouring around Lantau peak today. Makes no difference if in or out and I aint going to let it dictate my life.

I suspect it goes back to the SARS days MerMer.

Also if you've ever been to China, where 99% of Hongkongers originate from, you'll see how people live in winter coats all day long when it's cold. Windows are always open, there's no insulation, toilet bowls are frozen and coats are always on. It's deeply rooted in Chinese culture. Moronic, but no use fighting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    I suspect it goes back to the SARS days MerMer.

Also if you've ever been to China, where 99% of Hongkongers originate from, you'll see how people live in winter coats all day long when it's cold. Windows are always open, there's no insulation, toilet bowls are frozen and coats are always on. It's deeply rooted in Chinese culture. Moronic, but no use fighting it.
    So, so moronic. Ugh. Is it Christmas holiday time yet???

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer:
    Yes, but when they turn off air purifiers and open the windows for "fresh" air... Where's the head banging against the wall emoji?
    I teach at a local school that has air purifiers in every room and open windows. Half the kids seem to wear surgical masks permanently.

Recently, some kids have started to turn up with wearable air purifiers.