Like Tree12Likes

Another suicide at a HK mall

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another suicide at a HK mall

Another suicide at Hong Kong mall | Asia Times

There should be some public education how to safely kill yourself without effecting other and not creating a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    There should be some public education how to safely kill yourself without effecting other and not creating a mess.
    The "Après nous le déluge" concept is well established in this damn city

That would require the cultural ability to be courteous.....

Sleeping pills and dying in your sleep, is, the classiest and most peaceful way of doing this. Another would be an overdose of (medically pure ) Diamorphine, which would allow you to go peacefully and out of sight of the general public. All in the comfort ( or discomfort, this is HK after all ) of your own cage/bedroom/home.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I'm really curious what is behind this statement. Are suicidal people more courteous elsewhere? Does the method of a single suicide reflect meaningfully on the courteousness of a society? Can anyone objectively rate the courteousness of any society when it's so subjective? Does the western concept of courtesy not exist here, but instead other, no less valuable social values do?

Original Post Deleted
    They are rational enough to think of a way that makes maximum impact.

First stepp would be to stop advertising about it by the way of news. That's where people get the idea from. Maybe the press can promote suicide by helium or nitrogen inhalation. Clean and 100% painless.

The callousness of some comments is just stupefying. I didn't read even one comment about suicide prevention, but instead some rather insensitive comments on how people should commit suicide while minimizing impact on others. A death is a tragedy and we should rather think how to save lives instead of thinking how people can rid us of their inconveniencing life (or death!).

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

Sleeping pills and dying in your sleep, is, the classiest and most peaceful way of doing this. Another would be an overdose of (medically pure ) Diamorphine, which would allow you to go peacefully and out of sight of the general public. All in the comfort ( or discomfort, this is HK after all ) of your own cage/bedroom/home.
    How easy (or difficult) is it to get a hold of these meds though?! Can you buy over the counter at Fanda? I can imagine if you're severely depressed you don't have the energy or frame of mind to go hunt for some pills and it's just 'easier' to jump.

They are rational enough to think of a way that makes maximum impact.

First stepp would be to stop advertising about it by the way of news. That's where people get the idea from. Maybe the press can promote suicide by helium or nitrogen inhalation. Clean and 100% painless.
    But again, from a practical point of view, how to go about this. I would be clueless on how to get my hands on nitrogen or helium and wasn't even aware really that this would be lethal.

These poor people need help, depression is a horrible disease. More people die of depression every year than of cancer or heart disease. But the waiting list is two years in this flippin town to see a psychiatrist in a public hospital. As far as I know there is little or no funding for suicide prevention either. So once agin, the government doesn't care, nor about it's children or elderly for that matter. If you don't have a supportive family here, you have nothing. You are on your own.

Suicide is an extremely pre meditated thing to do... How do we do it back home ? Usually wrist cutting of a major artery in the bath, if you're really committed you'll even take an overdose of pills, just to make sure the job is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    How easy (or difficult) is it to get a hold of these meds though?! Can you buy over the counter at Fanda? I can imagine if you're severely depressed you don't have the energy or frame of mind to go hunt for some pills and it's just 'easier' to jump.
    I am pretty sure your local neighbourhood triads say ( 14K ) in TST could organise whatever prescription drug you needed. or you could just get hold of some castor beans and extract the ricin poison and suffer a 24 hour flu like symptoms, even if you were sent to hospital, they would likely misdiagnose the symptoms and treat it as flu, if you kept quite.

But, I do agree with you about depression and Hong Kongs inability to provide anywhere near the mental health support for such an overcrowded city that is subjected to very high rates of financial stress..
    Last edited by Skyhook; 14-05-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast