Like Tree42Likes

Public Transport EVs: “fell far short of expectation”

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

There has been a government subsidised project in Japan where taxi companies were subsidised for using Nissan Leaf's as taxi. The program lasted two years. After the program ended the taxi companies quickly reverted back to regular cars as they were rather dissatisfied with those electrical cars. Insufficient driving range, deterioration of batteries, long charging times and some other reasons were mentioned at the time. Besides regular cars are also hybrid cars (e.g. Prius) rather popular among taxi companies in Japan.

TheBrit likes this.

I've been wondering a while why battery swaps have not really been more widely promulgated as a way of increasing usership of EVs. So I looked it up.
    This post seems to the best answers to this. Basically it means you need a large inventory of very expensive batteries, and loads of heavy machinery to lift the batteries. So it isn't cost effective. Plus you need standardisation of battery shapes.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-electr...able-batteries

TheBrit and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    This post seems to the best answers to this. Basically it means you need a large inventory of very expensive batteries, and loads of heavy machinery to lift the batteries. So it isn't cost effective. Plus you need standardisation of battery shapes.
    When it comes to taxis, why not simply swap the whole taxi? Have rotary parking, like you see often in Japan, and add charging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPIjttQaONA
    Kus Kus likes this.

Hong Kong already has the most energy efficient electric at grade based mass transit.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6082/...08336b7401.jpg

Unfortunately they have to fight for space in much of their route.

Last edited by East_coast; 19-05-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Elegiaque and Kus Kus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Unfortunately they have to fight for space in much of their route.
    Some, but not all:

Name:  mtr[1].jpg
Views: 116
Size:  37.8 KB
    shri and Kus Kus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Some, but not all:

Name:  mtr[1].jpg
Views: 116
Size:  37.8 KB
    that's not at grade....

i've been in a BYD taxi a few times and I was impressed. Sure there's going to be teething problems. Many buses have teething problems when they try a new technology - even phones do. On my last trip to Shenzhen I noticed considerable amounts of new BYD taxis and buses being put on the road so something must be going right. I am don't much about electric vehicles but I didnt notice anything blowing up.

Not everything in the mainland is made of shit - the quality is improving constantly and so is their attitude,

Maybe we need to wind down the air cons a bit as they need a lot of power, get more electric fans plus get more people in shorts and t-shirts so we don't need the air con running so high.

East_coast likes this.

Meanwhile, can we have some hedges please?
    Cities need 'hedges as well as trees' for environment - BBC News

Would love to see Queen's Rd reduced to 1 lane with expanded pedestrian areas and some kind of tropical hedge creating a green barrier between vehicles and people.

I read recently hoe refrigeration is actually one of the less recognized causes of pollution and climate change. For sure turning down our ACs could help. What a lame excuse for electric vehicles not working. :/

Why isn't hybrid technology more widely discussed? All the hills and all...

Recently visited botanical gardens in Shenzhen, which are a mess, pedestrians are forced on a narrow road with buses due to endless construction barriers. BUT the buses are electric, thank goodness! Quiet and no fumes!

Quote Originally Posted by Kus Kus:
    i've been in a BYD taxi a few times and I was impressed. Sure there's going to be teething problems. Many buses have teething problems when they try a new technology - even phones do. On my last trip to Shenzhen I noticed considerable amounts of new BYD taxis and buses being put on the road so something must be going right. I am don't much about electric vehicles but I didnt notice anything blowing up.

Not everything in the mainland is made of shit - the quality is improving constantly and so is their attitude,

Maybe we need to wind down the air cons a bit as they need a lot of power, get more electric fans plus get more people in shorts and t-shirts so we don't need the air con running so high.
    Unfortunately the executive branch of government must reward the taxi licence holders to ensure their votes for the transport seat. If this wasn't the case more licences could be printed to allow more taxis on the road. This would mean they wouldn't need to be run 24/7 to pay back the rent seeking license holder allowing plenty of time to recharge
    Kus Kus likes this.

The government is very selective on what it wishes to take action on!

Really good points made about the batteries and licences.

The batteries need to be standardized so they can be swopped in and out.
    *Every car park should have a section devoted to chargers.
    *This farce with the taxi licence needs to be changed - cars shouldnt be run for 24 hours its not even safe.
    *In the UK when everyone had milk delivered -electric milk floats (delivery vehicles) were used that were plugged in at the end of their round to charge up for the next day. They have been around since the 1950's they were only used on localy but that was 60-70 years ago