Like Tree27Likes

Give it up Uber, the Hong Kong government’s not for U-turning

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Not for $250000, the price I used to compare the two services above. An Uber ride would cost drivers much more. In the end drivers would just end up paying loans instead of a daily fee.
    Nope. As your own calculation said, they come out more or less the same (although driving uber is of course a lot more flexible for a driver). And even if uber x became unviable and only black would remain - Id love to pay extra for having a superior service.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Fuck Singapore. Death penalty, caning, no freedom of speech, etc. I much prefer a shitty taxi service.
    Right. Because obviously the only way that you can get a government to enact sensible policies is to give them the right to gag, torture and kill us.
    TheBrit and HK_Katherine like this.

In Perth, Australia (where Uber has been legalised), taxi plates used to cost around AU$300k, now worth as little as AU$10k. The government is launching an assistance package for taxi drivers in the form of a voluntary plate buy-back scheme that will be industry funded (eg they will impose a surcharge on uber users). Something like this should be workable in HK too.

Buyback schemes are not new to Australians. 20 years ago after the Port Arthur massacre there was a famous gun buy back scheme to rid the county of firearms. The American's could learn from this, and Obama did use this case as an example in a few of his speeches. Too bad the Americans are too stupid to get rid of guns, just like the Hongkies are too stupid to fix their taxi system .

HK_Katherine and muzzdang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Too bad the Americans are too stupid to get rid of guns, just like the Hongkies are too stupid to fix their taxi system .
    Man, not even Hong Kong landlords could afford to buy back all the guns in the US. Let alone the federal government.

Taxi system works fine in Hong Kong. Nothing to complain about here folks.

Uber was nice while it lasted.

It's still one of the easiest cities in the world to get around.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    In Perth, Australia (where Uber has been legalised), taxi plates used to cost around AU$300k, now worth as little as AU$10k. The government is launching an assistance package for taxi drivers in the form of a voluntary plate buy-back scheme that will be industry funded (eg they will impose a surcharge on uber users). Something like this should be workable in HK too.

).
    But that's Perth. Small city with democratically elected officials and a much more egalitarian and forward thinking society than Hong Kong. Here it's me me me and nothing else matters. It can't work because the scumbags who rule this city do not gain to benefit from any kind of progress. It's status quo here for numerous important things. It's eroding the city, which ultimately does not even matter. The Chinese are coming and are already here.
    shri, HK_Katherine and muzzdang like this.

Try living in a ranch or small town with little security, where the police or local sheriff is 15-25 miles away. Whether there is a coyote or human intent on harm, you will wish you had the right to bear arms. Stick to UK issues.

Try living in the Mid-Levels with little public transport, where the nearest mini-bus stop is 20 meters away. Whether there is a taxi or minibus intent on ignoring you, you'll wish you had the right to Uber. Stick to the topic.

(Sorry, its Friday)

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Try living in the Mid-Levels with little public transport, where the nearest mini-bus stop is 20 meters away. Whether there is a taxi or minibus intent on ignoring you, you'll wish you had the right to Uber. Stick to the topic.

(Sorry, its Friday)
    Hello Escalator!

I think I have found the best of both worlds. I discovered (though using the HK Taxi app) an amazing young taxi driver with a small network of drivers. I now order my taxis through him (he can make it happen within 10 minutes in Central and about 20-30 minutes in more remote locations), have come to know all his drivers and each and every one of them is lovely and speaks good English. They are all really good drivers and have impeccably maintained taxis. I get a 15% discount on all my fares which are fixed per destination, no matter time of day, weather or congestion.

In appreciation of my custom, he recently gifted me with a coupon for Tuen Ng rice dumplings.

When making change the other evening, I dropped a $20 note on the back seat. Within 10 minutes he whatsapped me with a picture of the note and a promise to return it to me the next time he is my driver

Original Post Deleted
    You tell me class conscious Brit. What do they do to protect their house, property, family and assets?