Like Tree57Likes

SCMP: HKers lazy due to helpers

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Sorry for a slight tangent, but what are security guards paid as a salary? Compared to minimum wage?

I wonder why it's so hard to find a local to do domestic work e.g. cleaning, childcare when moonlighting FDH charge $70-80 an hour for part-time. Which is more than 2x HK minimum wage right?
    At least some of them would be paid minimum wage, a friend's building had its guard staffing reduced once when the minimum wage went into effect.

Is lazy the right word? I think the point is that hk society has more of a job split than many... cleaning toilets is considered someone's job unlike in the West where we just see it as a household chore. To me, lazy is just sat on your arse, not if you are doing something... even if it's working unproductivly.

So the question is more, is there value to people doing their own chores? I tend to think it keeps people grounded, but that is probably just my cultural preferences showing.....

SCMP is trolling Geoexpat.

Suckers!

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Sorry for a slight tangent, but what are security guards paid as a salary? Compared to minimum wage?

I wonder why it's so hard to find a local to do domestic work e.g. cleaning, childcare when moonlighting FDH charge $70-80 an hour for part-time. Which is more than 2x HK minimum wage right?
    Around 10k so around minimum wage. (they work usually 12 hours shift 6 days a week).

It requires a lot more skills to take care of a 2 y old than to spend 12 hours sitting on chair pushing a button to open the door (Don't get me wrong mines are lovely guys but they don't do much, yup they are helpful and will help you fix this and that...but its no where comparable to managing a house with 1/2/3 kids)

Just a an aside; That's why its important in my view to give them good Lai See at CNY. Only assholes would not give them in my view. Their pay check is so low, is it really gonna kill you if for one month they can double their salary by getting Lai See ...yet every year we see some expat thinking they are smarter and not giving. Assholes. It's a free world and they do what they want but still,,,,,Assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Is lazy the right word? I think the point is that hk society has more of a job split than many... cleaning toilets is considered someone's job unlike in the West where we just see it as a household chore. To me, lazy is just sat on your arse, not if you are doing something... even if it's working unproductivly.

So the question is more, is there value to people doing their own chores? I tend to think it keeps people grounded, but that is probably just my cultural preferences showing.....
    True somehow. The other side of the coin is that in the west (mostly) we have high unemployment mostly because low skill jobs don't exist anymore. Here people do shit job but they have a job...better, worse? not sure, At least maybe they feel they contribute to society somewhat and are not a home waiting for gvt money.

There is no right or wrong, it's just different.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    True somehow. The other side of the coin is that in the west (mostly) we have high unemployment mostly because low skill jobs don't exist anymore. Here people do shit job but they have a job...better, worse? not sure, At least maybe they feel they contribute to society somewhat and are not a home waiting for gvt money.

There is no right or wrong, it's just different.
    Wasn't this an issue in the UK? When large sectors of society told Eastern Europeans to stop stealing their jobs, but they were doing jobs most Brits would not do?

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Wasn't this an issue in the UK? When large sectors of society told Eastern Europeans to stop stealing their jobs, but they were doing jobs most Brits would not do?
    Same argument in the US with Mexicans as well.

You'll find white and black beggars in America but you'll never find Mexican ones. They'll sell candy, batteries, or go full Mariachi on the subway but they never beg. You'll find them in delis, kitchens, construction sites, etc., and are some of the hardest working people you'll come across (and some of the most discriminated).

I think FDHs in HK are extremely hard working, and they deserve more recognition just like other labor intensive/blue collar jobs in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    You'll find white and black beggars in America but you'll never find Mexican ones. They'll sell candy, batteries, or go full Mariachi on the subway but they never beg. You'll find them in delis, kitchens, construction sites, etc., and are some of the hardest working people you'll come across (and some of the most discriminated).
    We need this in HK.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    We need this in HK.
    God no. Had one of these in Paris on the way to the airport. Commuting is bad enough without loud music and pestering for money!
    jgl likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4