Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Migrating from China: Backfired for Many

Quote Originally Posted by keieich
    This 'one way permit' thing is a misnomer, I am afraid. They can go back, as far as I know. It's one thing that one can go back as a matter of procedure. It's quite another when he or she had uprooted himself / herself and severed all ties with the old place. Not all these cardboard collectors are from the Mainland. Some of them are locals on welfare, just for example. The most any person can get per month (even 100% disabled) is less than HK$5,000. Anyone here think he or she can live on that? Cardboard collection is one of the ways to supplement the dole or a meagre or no income. It's sad. In a way they are prawns in this big picture of "fusing" HK with the Mainland. The rather "international" border between HK and the Mainland (where you have to clear immigration and customs) is certainly in the eyes of some highly undesirable. This is one country, after all. When people on both sides of the border belong to the same lot the border may go. What better way to achieve that than infusing HK with more?
    I was merely commenting on you blaming local incompetent bureaucrats, and how too many low skilled immigrants are allowed in. The one way permit is issued by the Chinese, and hong kongers cannot deny them entry.

I know there are a lot of local cardboard collectors as well, but in the article they were referring to people who immigrated from China and I think those persons came on a one way permit, which is not issued by the local authorities.

Also, at the very least you need to forfeit your China hukou when you get your one way permit, so I think it is very hard to resettle in china.
    imparanoic likes this.

Feeling good when i crush my beer cans, bag them up and drop them next to the door of the old folks home. The recycling truck is only minutes away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12