• 1 Post By shri
  • 4 Post By Mefisto
  • 3 Post By emx
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG
  • 1 Post By shri

Central Post Office / GPO / HK Post HQ To Be Relocated

Closed Thread

Central Post Office / GPO / HK Post HQ To Be Relocated

Hong Kong’s post office headquarters in Central is set to be demolished to make way for office buildings as part of a transformation of the city’s prime waterfront space.

The General Post Office building, opened in 1976, will be torn down and its contents moved to a new location in Kowloon Bay, the government’s Commerce and Economic Development Bureau said at a panel meeting in the city’s legislature on Friday.

The new eight-storey building will be near Kai Tak Cruise Terminal and cost HK$1.7 billion.
    Hong Kong post office HQ to be demolished to make way for offices in plan to transform Central harbourfront | South China Morning Post
    Mefisto likes this.

I guess that land is worth too much to have a low-rise government building there... on the other hand. moving to Kai Tak feels a bit like the UK government forcibly moving government departments away from London - good for 'the regions', not necessarily so great for the workers in those departments.

I am assuming that a condition of the sale would be that they keep a couple of floors of the building for a post office.

A bit nostalgic. I remember the HK Post boats which used to transport air mail items directly across the harbour from the GPO to Kai Tak. Amazing when you see it now to remember that the harbour was just outside the GPO before all the reclamation.

I feel even more nostalgic when I remember the GPO before this one, a beautiful building where World Wide House now stands.

Mefisto, spode, drumbrake and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    A bit nostalgic. I remember the HK Post boats which used to transport air mail items directly across the harbour from the GPO to Kai Tak. Amazing when you see it now to remember that the harbour was just outside the GPO before all the reclamation.

I feel even more nostalgic when I remember the GPO before this one, a beautiful building where World Wide House now stands.
    Thanks for the reminder.

Until you mentioned this my only pre-reclamation mental map references were about the waterfront being where the now to be relocated GPO stands.

Here's the old GPO from harbour side (full size scan):

Name:  Old_Post_Office_Hong_Kong.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  index_title.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  773.9 KB

I realize there's probably no quick profit in it, but it would be nice if the historical waterfront line was marked in buildings, even if none of the contemporary buildings of the period are left standing.

Wonder where the post boxes are being moved to in Central, I have had a PO box at the GPO since the late 90s!

spode, East_coast and Fiona in HKG like this.

Damn anyone told that female homeless person? She always sitting/standing outside the ground floor entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    Thanks for the reminder.

Until you mentioned this my only pre-reclamation mental map references were about the waterfront being where the now to be relocated GPO stands.

Here's the old GPO from harbour side (full size scan):

Name:  Old_Post_Office_Hong_Kong.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  index_title.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  773.9 KB

I realize there's probably no quick profit in it, but it would be nice if the historical waterfront line was marked in buildings, even if none of the contemporary buildings of the period are left standing.
    I seem to think that within the Wanchai district there are markers indicating where the old harbourfront was located.
    Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I seem to think that within the Wanchai district there are markers indicating where the old harbourfront was located.
    Yes, have seen those. They're still around in random-ish places.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.