Like Tree92Likes

Mainland Rules in West Kowloon terminus

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

That the US has a similar arrangement is not a big concern as they are not trying to get all their laws applied in said country. Besides it's then only for certain flights not the whole airport.

Anyway was there ever a discussion to have HK immigration based within China instead?

merchantms likes this.

Why someone go to that terminal building? why someone take that train? Because they are going to China!! so that someone must be ready to follow whatever rule on that side of the building.
    I don't understand why this issue needs to be blown out so irrationally?
    if someone does not want to play by that rule, stay away from that building and/or that effin train

shri and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Given the alternatives:

- Be officially in China before you board OR
    - Be in Hong Kong for 15 minutes longer while you are on the train to the border, and then stop the train for 30+ minutes at the border as you go through China customs OR
    - Let the train through at the border but set up customs controls at all possible destinations in China for which there may be direct trains from Hong Kong. This means building separate platforms and tracks at pretty much every major train station in China

There are plenty of reasonable reasons to resist the regime up north. This one is not reasonable. Fighting this one will only make the northern brothers think that people here won't compromise so there's no point negotiating on anything else.
    The existing HK-Guangzhou train that actually stops inside Guangzhou city, does it and it has been smooth every time. No need for separate platforms before exiting the station you pass immigration. I've done it countless times, easy.

Perhaps I lack education in this area, but what's the difference between this and the Eurotunnel immigration controls or even what happens in Calais. US immigration control also occurs at Shannon airport in Ireland if I'm not mistaken. This just seems to be another problem stemming from everything in HK being politicised and distrust between the people of HK and Beijing.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Is it? I have no idea, never took the train to China.
    Was just wondering if it there was a choice or that only one option exists.

Regarding the Eurotunnel that is a two way street!

There are plenty of reasons to fight Beijing and resist HK turning into just another Chinese city, etc. But this is NOT one of those reasons. It's just a train and of course is complete common sense to put immigration together in one place ON THE HK SIDE where there is only one possible exit point and not on the China side where there are multiple. Anyone who cannot see this and rambles on about the constitution and basic law etc is just lacking in basic common sense.

The biggest problem I can see is whether I will be able access google and facebook using the trains free wifi or I will have to use mobile data in order to access these services.

Andy SNK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    US immigration has a number of forward posts (not sure what the term is) and clear passengers outside of the "borders".
    US government doesn't remove non citizens during night and takes them to secret locations where they are forced to give confessions.

Oh, wait.....................
    shri, Andy SNK, Mefisto and 2 others like this.

I worry about Chinese intrusion into HK life generally - but THIS seems to be a furfy without real value to the argument. Nobody is getting on that train to travel to somewhere in HK. They are going to CHINA. Once they get on the train, they have accepted that by the time they get off, Chinese law applies. So the wearing of a dissident T-shirt example, surely the guy will have to take it off before they get off the train so it's only a matter of a few minutes ffs.

In this instance, convenience and common sense trumps irrational fear.

* if there is any instance where a HK person can get on the train and get off in HK, for example at that other terminal in NT, it would be an issue......

Andy SNK, Mrs. Jones and Jaz Paul like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    US government doesn't remove non citizens during night and takes them to secret locations where they are forced to give confessions.

Oh, wait.....................
    This isn't really the issue. These US ports would only be similar if the US had taken sovereignty over Ireland and promised for 50 years not to supersede local Irish law, but then had shown a pattern of overstepping its bounds and ignoring its agreement. In reality Ireland or Canada or whoever can cancel this agreement with the US whenever they want. HK cannot.

Seems China has a lot of work to do to make others trust them. But do they even care?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast