Like Tree14Likes

Internet addiction among HK kids 'a growing concern'

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    It is a concern but there are simply not enough affordable sport facilities in HK and the hot and humid summers with mosquitos and sandflies biting the crap out of you doesn't help. Even good private sport facilities are closing up due to high rent.
    I believe kids in places with enough affordable sport facilities and where it's not hot and humid with mosquitos and sandflies biting the crap out of you are still getting hooked and gaming. Bad times we are in.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I'm very engaged in sports here in HK. And yes facilities are there and prices are great. But to a child and parent who has a schedule to manage. It can be difficult for them to manage. Facilities are always full. Locations of particular sports are all over HK. And who wants to travel 30-45 minutes each way to join a 2 hour class.

So that's why I thought there wasn't enough facilities in each area to support the number of people. I believe if the government increased facilities, they would still be full (hence more people would use them -- by numbers)
    I surely travel a lot for my sport and my kid activities. I prefer to travel than to stay home watching video games. It's a choice.

And $ is not an issue (even to the more modest) as there are pitches/tracks/swimming pool etc all over HK for very cheap/zero prices.

-> I go to the Aberdeen Track on Tuesday nights. 7pm, it's open, it's free and plenty of kids and parents training there. am sure plenty of other examples all over HK

Of course if your stuff is Ice Hockey or Ice Skating or Archery it's a bit different...but how many people in HK are doing archery??

PS: as a kid in Europe, my parents used to drive the three of us for our activities the whole of Saturday....again it's a choice. They thought sport was important to our development so that invested time in it.
    PS2: some of my colleagues (local) need to hire a PERSONAL coach for 8 and 10 years old to teach them running and complain that it is far and expensive...seriously...unless your kids is the next Usain Bolt, register him to a running club for a small fee and he will get plenty of good advices etc etc,

I don't see the connection between the Government spending some money on an esports event and internet addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I surely travel a lot for my sport and my kid activities. I prefer to travel than to stay home watching video games. It's a choice.

And $ is not an issue (even to the more modest) as there are pitches/tracks/swimming pool etc all over HK for very cheap/zero prices.

-> I go to the Aberdeen Track on Tuesday nights. 7pm, it's open, it's free and plenty of kids and parents training there. am sure plenty of other examples all over HK

Of course if your stuff is Ice Hockey or Ice Skating or Archery it's a bit different...but how many people in HK are doing archery??

PS: as a kid in Europe, my parents used to drive the three of us for our activities the whole of Saturday....again it's a choice. They thought sport was important to our development so that invested time in it.
    PS2: some of my colleagues (local) need to hire a PERSONAL coach for 8 and 10 years old to teach them running and complain that it is far and expensive...seriously...unless your kids is the next Usain Bolt, register him to a running club for a small fee and he will get plenty of good advices etc etc,
    Agree its a lifestyle choice. HK is pretty small, and actually with decent sports facilities in many places. I've seen primary school kids take the MTR by themselves, and even taxis are not that expensive (just don't eat out once a week would save the $200-300 for a taxi fare).

i grew up in a small village in UK and did athletics and the nearest sports centre with running track, hurdles equipment etc. was in a bigger town 10 miles away. Back then buses stopped operating at 5:00pm, so i went there after school (in the bigger town), and had to pay 10 pounds for a taxi back home which was a lot about 15 years ago.

where there's a will, there's a way.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I'm very engaged in sports here in HK. And yes facilities are there and prices are great. But to a child and parent who has a schedule to manage. It can be difficult for them to manage. Facilities are always full. Locations of particular sports are all over HK. And who wants to travel 30-45 minutes each way to join a 2 hour class.

So that's why I thought there wasn't enough facilities in each area to support the number of people. I believe if the government increased facilities, they would still be full (hence more people would use them -- by numbers)
    I think it was worse when there were scalpers who made profit by selling on pitch bookings. But recently they put measures in place to make it more difficult so should be better.

And I think it is a problem based on peak times. Everyone wants to play in the evening or weekends, but during the weekdays, they may be empty, so I guess they have to make a choice there.

I remember being in HK for the summer school holidays, and me and my friends could play football on a pitch from about 10am to 4pm with nobody else. It was hot as hell and you have to make sure you rest and get water, but its possible.