Like Tree10Likes

Hail rule-by-law: Young pro-democracy leaders are sentenced to prison

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    You mean the government appealing that the terms were too lenient?

Anyone getting worried about the direction Hong Kong is heading yet?

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:

Considering this thread gets as much commentary as pesky WhatsApp thread, I don't think people worry too much.

honestly, it did spur me on to get the European passport application for my wife finally done
    East_coast likes this.

HK government stopped pretending to protect Hongkongers' civil rights and HK's autonomy some years ago. Young people who have most to lose from this forced mainlandification started a campaign of civil disobedience and got gassed, baton-charged, threatened and bullied in various ways and now finally jailed for their efforts, thanks to little help from the "justice" dept.

The people caring about such things — nearly two thirds of voters for instance — have been looking at the UK government to stand up for the population they surrendered to CCP's whims in 1997, but the UK hasn't stopped pretending.

The EU, USA, Japan and rest of the free world are just following Britain's lead. Did someone say trade trumps all other values and commitments?

Meanwhile the mainstream western media has started to refer to HK as merely "partially autonomous". Not that we can blame them. The independence of judiciary and police are but a fading memory at this stage.

Yes, I suppose there are reasons to start getting worried.

Here's looking at you, big kid across the pond.

HKFP: US politicians warn Hong Kong’s special status may be axed amid ‘political prosecution’ of democracy figures

“Beijing’s heavy hand is on display for all to see as they attempt to crush the next generation of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement and undermine the ‘one country, two systems’ arrangements. U.S. policy must reflect these realities, which is why I am pressing for swift Senate passage of the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act.”

The Act, if passed, will establish heavy punishments for government officials in Hong Kong or mainland China who may be responsible for suppressing basic freedoms in the city.

Hemlock's sobering take on CCP and their HK govt flunkies crossing a line with the re-sentencing and jailing of young democracy activists.

The British government has taken their own principles, the interests of British, EU and the British overseas nationals residing in HK and finally their corporations opinions into account before making the following statement:

Name:  contemporary-decorative-objects-and-figurines.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  123.9 KB