Like Tree12Likes

Helpers seek 28% wage hike after China hiring news

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Helpers seek 28% wage hike after China hiring news

Foreign maids seek 28% wage hike after China hiring news

A foreigner who is currently working in Shanghai as a domestic helper can earn as much as HK$8,000 a month and spend less on consumer items at the same time, which just goes to show that those working in Hong Kong are receiving less, Villanueva said.

If the mainland opens its market, Hong Kong will lose its appeal to foreign maids, who will then try to move across the border for better pay, even though they may like Hong Kong better, he said.
    Do helpers really want to work in Mainland China? They won't get their Facebook fix!

Well they're not here for the stellar benefits and spectacular working conditions are they?

If most could get a 30%ish pay rise to move to Shanghai then I reckon they would at least try.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:

Do helpers really want to work in Mainland China? They won't get their Facebook fix!
    Given the places many work then for the extra money yes they would. It is not like working in HK is heaven for them is it.

5500 + 2500 = HK$ 8000 = WOW!!!!! if the govt really went ahead with this and put this as a mandatory for all FDH, wonder how many of the ones that are currently hired in HK will be TERMINATED on the spot.

One of the advantages that Filipino helpers have for working in HKG and S'pore is English. That advantage disappears on the Mainland and there will be workers from other countries happy to undercut the pay demands of the Filipino helpers.

Original Post Deleted
    I think the families who could afford foreign helpers would not want their kids picking up Filipino English. We've have discussions on GXP of how certain Mainland parents refuse to have their children taught English by ethnically Chinese instructors.

Original Post Deleted
    Ah shit, totally forgot it only applies to new contracts usually DOH!!!! self
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    5500 + 2500 = HK$ 8000 = WOW!!!!! if the govt really went ahead with this and put this as a mandatory for all FDH, wonder how many of the ones that are currently hired in HK will be TERMINATED on the spot.
    It's either just anchoring (Google "negotiation anchoring") or an attempt to grab headline space (which worked).
    shri likes this.

There are many Filipinos, South Asians and Chinese fluent English speakers in HK hoping to get the high paid teaching jobs of whites and overseas born Chinese from western English speaking countries.

HK families mainly want an affordable and hard working helper. Children picking up English is not the most important reason. Most can also send their children to english teaching centres or private tuition by westerners. It is more important factor to the Mainland Chinese. They have English skills, most Mainland Chinese don't have. They would be similar to western expats in China, foreigners must have skills not possessed by most Mailand Chinese before their China work visas are approved.

Agree with most rich Mainland and HK parents want western English teachers to teach their children English, not wanting non westerners' English.

The amount of income and policy is highly depending on the relations between China and the Philippines. They can suddenly change. HK and Macau had the minimum wage rule of FDH and more open FDH recruit policy no matter the relations between the two countries.

Original Post Deleted
    Last edited by lighthse003; 04-09-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:

My helper told me she would NEVER go to mainland China no matter what they pay. She said "If the employer says I stole something probably they will execute me." (her words not mine!)
    chuckster007, muzzdang and shri like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast