Like Tree53Likes

Man arrested in Hong Kong for calmly shoving cleaner onto rail track

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    How the fuck do people like this get HKIDs in the first place? Was he born here? Does he speak Cantonese? Is he a high earner, at the very least? Probably not, and he doesn't even have any civility or basic decency, much less the ability to follow Hong Kong law.

Then don't place him in jail, don't try him in court, don't fly him anywhere, just ship him somewhere else.

He's not even worth the plastic his HKID is printed on.

There are actual Hong Kongers being snatched from their homes and forced into other countries, don't see why this guy shouldn't get the same treatment.
    Similar situation to the killer banker in the speeding Ferrari.

Head cases everywhere
    rickyross likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Pretty sure @jimbo is talking about the fact that they're both foreigners committing crimes in Hong Kong, rather than results of his trial. It's far too early for the guy in the OP, probably hasn't even been to his first hearing yet. There's no comparison to be made as far as how they'll be sentenced so your comment doesn't make sense either way.
    jimbo likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I don't need the law, a judge, or the government telling me what to think.

Guy puts his Ferrari in race mode to show off, runs over a guy and kills him. He's a criminal.

Guy pushes old lady onto train tracks. He's a criminal.

Bankers speculate on a housing crisis that they put into motion and cause a worldwide financial crisis. They're criminals.

Two young Hong Kong activists are put in jail fighting for what they believe in. They were convicted of a crime and were put in jail. The law dictates that they are/were criminals, but I'm pretty sure we all know better than that.

I know you're very knowledgeable in law, but arguing over legal technicalities when we're not actually in court is pointless, and letting the government decide how us as individuals should think is a sure sign of a society on a downward spiral.

I think you might be taking this a little personally based on the "foreigner" label, but other than the fact that both have committed heinous criminal acts, the "foreigner" label is literally the only thing they have in common. It's not a statement about all foreigners in Hong Kong, just a similarity between the two people mentioned.

Two young Hong Kong activists are put in jail fighting for what they believe in. They were convicted of a crime and were put in jail. The law dictates that they are/were criminals, but I'm pretty sure we all know better than that.
    This is factually wrong though. Wong and co were already judged and served their sentence. The government then pushed to have them re-sentenced for a sentence already served, violating international standards. No one accused them of "fighting". They then conveniently had a pro-Beijing judge (as evidenced by said judge at anti-Occupy DAB events) judge them, after which said judge peppered the judgment with statements that were unrelevant to the sentence "unhealthy wind etc.".

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    This is factually wrong though. Wong and co were already judged and served their sentence. The government then pushed to have them re-sentenced for a sentence already served, violating international standards. No one accused them of "fighting". They then conveniently had a pro-Beijing judge (as evidenced by said judge at anti-Occupy DAB events) judge them, after which said judge peppered the judgment with statements that were unrelevant to the sentence "unhealthy wind etc.".
    this is like wrestling with a pig in mud. No point.

I don't need the law, a judge, or the government telling me what to think.

Guy puts his Ferrari in race mode to show off, runs over a guy and kills him. He's a criminal.

Guy pushes old lady onto train tracks. He's a criminal.

Bankers speculate on a housing crisis that they put into motion and cause a worldwide financial crisis. They're criminals.

I know you're very knowledgeable in law, but arguing over legal technicalities when we're not actually in court is pointless, and letting the government decide how us as individuals should think is a sure sign of a society on a downward spiral.

I think you might be taking this a little personally based on the "foreigner" label, but other than the fact that both have committed heinous criminal acts, the "foreigner" label is literally the only thing they have in common. It's not a statement about all foreigners in Hong Kong, just a similarity between the two people mentioned.
    I used to think a lot like this and many times i still do. But we have to make the distinction between what is morally wrong and legally wrong. This is a big reason why there are debates, disagreements and differences in opinion.

That is why I don't always agree with the law, but i understand why it is there. More difficult is when i don't agree with the law and don;t understand why it is there.
    gigglinggal likes this.

There are actual Hong Kongers being snatched from their homes and forced into other countries, don't see why this guy shouldn't get the same treatment.
    You moved into the ‘Hong Kong is not a part of China’ camp?
    Gatts and Mat like this.

I don't need the law, a judge, or the government telling me what to think
    You seem to need someone to remind you to actually think though. A ‘criminal’ is a legal concept. Not something we all can have our own definitions of. You can’t just make up your own definition of words and expect to be taken serious.

Individual wants to borrow more than he can chew and when the tide change a bit goes under - he is a criminal?

I think that's why laws are here...to avoid wrong things like the one you just listed above and hasty judgement
    Last edited by Mat; 30-10-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    You moved into the ‘Hong Kong is not a part of China’ camp?
    Where did I mention "China" in my post? There you go with the strawmen again.