Like Tree48Likes

"Prefer not to choose a non-chinese"

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

"Prefer not to choose a non-chinese"

The most telling quote in today's SCMP.

The future is here...

https://www.google.com.hk/amp/m.scmp...op-job%3famp=1

any of you guys plans to let your kids go to college here?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The most telling quote in today's SCMP.

The future is here...
    That is just racism.

I guess also his proposal that the university should approach the central government’s education ministry for funding was also a great way to get rid of the pesky free thinkers.

It does seem a big promotion for him.

Is this the best HKU can get?

My experience seeking a Quality Migrant visa indicated that i was very unfavorably viewed by the 100% chinese board of examiners.

In HK, when Britain ruled, whites were good. Now the chinese rule and chinese are preferred.

We aren't in the colonial era anymore, so seeing ethnic Chinese preferring other ethnic Chinese to run Hong Kong and its institutions shouldn't surprise anyone. This is likely what Hong Kong will be moving forward, but to see foreigners condemn Hong Kong's future because the status quo will not benefit them anymore as it has for the past 100+ years? Please.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    That is just racism.

I guess also his proposal that the university should approach the central government’s education ministry for funding was also a great way to get rid of the pesky free thinkers.
    I don't think it's racism per se. I don't think an ABC would have fared any better.

It is quite handy having a resident poster with a western nom de guerre providing the Han chauvinist world views and not needing to go to Global Times or China Daily for them.

Because of democratization and freedom of ideas and information, the western countries that had engaged in colonization of foreign countries (including other European countries, let's not forget) came to realize that it was just wrong. All people deserve the right to self-determination.

For some strange nationalist reason, the notorious helmsperson Mao chose to ignore that memo and instead sent his dangerously idle communist armies to invade Tibet in 1950 and through militarization and massive population transfers integrated the homelands (and natural resources) of tibetans and uighurs into the great Han Chinese empire. Those western neighbours of China also failed to get the memo that "we aren't in the colonial era anymore".

Invariably after the end of colonialism what follows is independence and self-determination and locals taking charge of their development. "One country, two systems" and "Hong Kong people ruling Hong Kong" were cautiously accepted as promises of Hong Kong's continued autonomy. Even if the CCP has throughout its unelected rule been fixated with an anachronistic racist and anti-western "imperialist" propaganda, such race-centric nationalist drivel has been essentially non-existent in Hong Kong until very recently.

We can imagine the reasons why a British-born administrator of Hong Kong University might now find it unfeasible to continue working in that post. Most probably the problem didn't involve his actual abilities as an administrator but nominally his "race" and ultimately his unwillingness to execute policies determined by the new colonial rulers based in Zhongnanhai, Beijing.

As I understand it, their pick as the new head of HKU is not a local bi- or tri-lingual hongkonger rising through the ranks but a mainland Chinese emigrant with a US citizenship; an accomplished scientist but one with no administrative background.

How the new "status quo" laid out by Beijing benefitting the locals in Hong Kong exactly?

Gatts and markranson like this.

Benefitting the locals has never been Beijing's primary concern though

Patrick008 likes this.

What they couldn't even bother to say is that they also "prefer not to choose a non-male". HKU is run by men for men.

BCD likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast