Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UK/HKboy
  • 1 Post By MandM!

Deliveroo Slow Down - Driver Strike (?)

Closed Thread

Deliveroo Slow Down - Driver Strike (?)

Benefits scrapped included a HK$200 subsidy for engine oil and compensation for traffic tickets. Regular monthly lunches arranged by the company between management and delivery staff had also disappeared, the rider said.

“There’s nothing left to grab from the riders so now they are reducing working times,” he quipped.

It was not known whether the company was negotiating with the strikers but the rider conceded that the protest was rather “unorganised” and lacked leadership for collective bargaining.
    Grumbles in Hong Kong as Deliveroo riders strike over changes to work schedules and benefits | South China Morning Post

I think this is expected. It's either increase price or cut costs, and cutting costs is easier for them.

I've always felt these delivery services would have it very difficult in Hong Kong. Everything is so close and convenient and many places already have their own delivery. I know some companies and mostly expats use it, but for about $20 each time... how much would they make? I hardly know of any locals using it, and for me, i'd rather go downstairs and buy something rather than waiting 45 min and paying extra for delivery.

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I think this is expected. It's either increase price or cut costs, and cutting costs is easier for them.

I've always felt these delivery services would have it very difficult in Hong Kong. Everything is so close and convenient and many places already have their own delivery. I know some companies and mostly expats use it, but for about $20 each time... how much would they make? I hardly know of any locals using it, and for me, i'd rather go downstairs and buy something rather than waiting 45 min and paying extra for delivery.
    Exactly and those places off the beaten path they won't go.
    UK/HKboy likes this.