Like Tree61Likes

CitySuper misses vegan point

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    Cheese is not vegan if it contains rennet.
    Cheese or milk or any dairy product are never a part of a vegan diet. What you probably meant to say is that it's not vegetarian. I had already pointed that out however to be precise, it is only certain cheeses that contain rennet, not all. In summary cheese is never vegan with or without rennet but some of them can be suitable to vegetarians.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Where did you get the idea that it was a VEGAN burger?
    Beast Burger 2.0 | Beast Burgers 2.0 | Beyond Meat - The Future of Protein™
    The company doesnt advertise this, doesnt claim it and doesnt even mention it on their page. You cant find that v-word anywhere on their page.

Its a meatless burger that you can consume with whatever you feel like. I prefer a bit of bacon and cheese on mine.
    I like mine with extra methylcellulose. Yum!

I self-identify as vegan even when I'm eating pork sausages.

Kowloon Goon and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenna:
    CitySuper sells the Beyond Meat cooked burger in their Fusion Deli, but they combine this VEGAN burger with cream potatoes made with COW’s milk. They also have lasagna made with Beyond Meat “mince” but they top it up with dairy cheese. I am glad they are trying, but apparently the concepts of vegan and vegetarian are still quite amiss in their books. Have left feedback about this, curious to see what happens...
    So what? Not all vegetarians are vegans. There are multiple non-meat choices. Stop whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    They know that vegans will look carefully at the labels to make sure it's ok and that way they might not scare off troglodytes who have difficulties reading packets
    I'll let you decide whether the staff and management of City Super are troglodytes or not....

Clearly, based on their choice of marketing and advertising, the brand does not want itself associated with veganism. Is it the consumers fault - is it the supermarkets fault that they are not selling this product as vegan?
    or
    are they happily following the direction of the product and product marketing in how its presented to the public?

I'll let you decide whether the staff and management of City Super are troglodytes or not....

Clearly, based on their choice of marketing and advertising, the brand does not want itself associated with veganism. Is it the consumers fault - is it the supermarkets fault that they are not selling this product as vegan?
    or
    are they happily following the direction of the product and product marketing in how its presented to the public?
    The name "Beyond Meat" can easily trick people into thinking that it's meat... Sort of the same way City Super tricked the OP into thinking that the cheese is plant-based.

As a side note, better check that bun while you're at it too.

One moot cultural point about Hong Kong's F & B industry, will have todays 11 gender vegan generation crying into their avocado and soy lattes if they ventured into the ' average ' restaurant/cafe kitchen out back, and realised just how much disregard to cross contamination goes on. Locals give zero fecks about hipster vegan fuss pots. lol

Quite different back in the west where kitchen operational discipline has had to really up its game, catering for the vegan hipsters ( MORE PROFITABLE ), peanut/shellfish allergy suffering and gluten intolerant ( both valid reasons), keeping their prep stations as cross contamination free, as is humanly possible. You don't see kitchens washing the lunch time dishes in a back alley communal plastic tub in dirty dishwater that isn't hot enough etc very High pressure/temp Miele/Hobart hood dishwashers washers all the way !

must be quite tough/rough for people with suspect food disorders and valid clinical food allergies in Hong Kong.

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-02-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    Fenix2 likes this.

Clearly, based on their choice of marketing and advertising, the brand does not want itself associated with veganism.
    That's a stupid thing to say when they put a vegan sign on their packet however small it is. If they clearly didn't want to be associated, they would simply not put it on their packet, it's not like it's required. As I mentioned before, they are simply trying to appeal to a broader market instead of a niche one and the supermarket is doing the same perhaps partly due to their ignorance.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    That's a stupid thing to say when they put a vegan sign on their packet however small it is.
    Go look at how many products have kosher or halal signs....and thats it. They dont say anything about the religion that it adheres to. This is no different. None of these products want to limit themselves to the tiny minority that worship them.

If they clearly didn't want to be associated, they would simply not put it on their packet, it's not like it's required. As I mentioned before, they are simply trying to appeal to a broader market instead of a niche one and the supermarket is doing the same perhaps partly due to their ignorance.
    Its not ignorance - its willful and its catering to the religion of money.

Those who try to shoehorn this particular product and wish it that it be served only with vegan sides are just as misguided as those who would not want me to drink some milk with my kosher sandwich or not put some bacon on my halal burger.

Those who try to shoehorn this particular product and wish it that it be served only with vegan sides are just as misguided as those who would not want me to drink some milk with my kosher sandwich or not put some bacon on my halal burger.
    On a similar note, i have sausages with my potatoes and sweetcorn.
    I also quite like the Linda Mcartney vegetarian pies, but i also cook some chicken wings to go with it.