Like Tree51Likes

About traffic congestion in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

About traffic congestion in HK

Hi, I am a student in HKU MSc Environmental management,
    I am conducting a study about traffic congestion and traffic demand management solution.
    Graceful if you would spend some time in conducting this online survey, your view is valuable for my study.

https://goo.gl/forms/yK9BOAzpQtTZ9qsn1

Thank you very much.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Submitted. Can you share the results later?

Original Post Deleted
    I'd love to be a traffic cop here, and i'd gladly do the job for free as long as I can stop some the arsehats from talking on the phone while driving!

Hong Kong has a few perennial hot spots for congestion that are never managed.

The Gov is still planning a 1980's style cordon charge for Central but time have moved on a so have the ways to apply Electronic Road Pricing. Time have moved on but HK gov does not.

There are many tools to discourage car use in congested areas that should be used before more road building. Probably in order of cost / benifit

Minimal cost
    - Same land tax for car parking as residential (Why should my car pay less for space than a person)
    - Variable tolls (especially for good vehicles)
    - Variable parking meter pricing
    - Variable parking fines
    - 'Red' Routes
    - More metered spaces - every roadside space in CBD's should be metered
    - More bus priority schemes

Moderate costs
    - Electronic Road Pricing
    - Bus Lanes

High Cost
    - More Roads

Bob Loblaw and HK_Katherine like this.

until Govt. tackles the self-entitled assholes nothing will change, I am sure we have all seen it, like the Hong Kong general chamber of commerce president (or whatever the name is) had her car stop in the middle of a traffic light junction in Kowloon tong just for her own convenience causing traffic chaos, they have driver parking illegally on street, outside Hong Kong club and side streets of central to avoid paying for parking, vehicles restricting traffic flow dramatically increase roadside pollution, etc.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

There are many tools to discourage car use in congested areas that should be used before more road building.
    agree 100%
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Done.

FWIW - one of the options involved every-other-day driving based on license plate #s. My guess: that won't work for HK - it'll just push people to buy 2nd cars.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    until Govt. tackles the self-entitled assholes nothing will change, I am sure we have all seen it, like the Hong Kong general chamber of commerce president (or whatever the name is) had her car stop in the middle of a traffic light junction in Kowloon tong just for her own convenience causing traffic chaos, they have driver parking illegally on street, outside Hong Kong club and side streets of central to avoid paying for parking, vehicles restricting traffic flow dramatically increase roadside pollution, etc.
    There used to be Informational Adverts on better driving habits but these stopped in 1997.

Sure.
    Thank you very much for your help

You are right, also HK is too densely populated

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    Done.

FWIW - one of the options involved every-other-day driving based on license plate #s. My guess: that won't work for HK - it'll just push people to buy 2nd cars.
    rich people will buy a second car.
    poor people will buy fake plates.
    HK_Katherine, JAherbert and shri like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast