Like Tree6Likes

Breaking the Basic Law - Article 107

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Breaking the Basic Law - Article 107

Article 107
    The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall follow the principle of keeping the expenditure within the limits of revenues in drawing up its budget, and strive to achieve a fiscal balance, avoid deficits and keep the budget commensurate with the growth rate of its gross domestic product.

20 years of surpluses and a growth in the budget against GDP. That sounds like a continued breaking of the basic law. Taking all that money out of the system and hording it is against the principle of the basic law that requires a balanced budget not a debt laden or a savings laden budget.

The budget is coming up what will the FS waste our money on this year?
    Last edited by East_coast; 08-02-2018 at 07:31 PM.

On one hand, you're complaining about hoarding money and on the other hand you're complaining about wasteful spending. Sounds like you just want to complain...

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    On one hand, you're complaining about hoarding money and on the other hand you're complaining about wasteful spending. Sounds like you just want to complain...
    I do think they are not following the basic law and I do think that their has been a huge increase in white elephant and trophy projects in recent years while the wealth gap widens and social policies seem stuck in the 1970's.
    Last edited by East_coast; 08-02-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    shri likes this.

I rather have surplus than debt. The HK govt also has resources to continue building and improving.

just curious which are the white elephants ? note that any construction spending from the hk government tend to drip down into the people as they are paying the contractors, the workers, suppliers, etc.etc...

@freeier - they may drip down temporarily. However, the long term benefits are again "drip down" as opposed to significant if you were to allocate the same expenses to education, health etc.

The drip down is not entirely well planned to cover those who need it.

I know this is a personal #firstworldproblem of mine, but I do still drive over significant number of roads which are still patched, have potholes etc - all from the last typhoon / rains, while so much money and attention is diverted to the larger projects.

Anyways, my stance is irrelevant... just a minor issue. Even though this is home, I can sort of leave whenever needed or wanted.

honestly i think hk civil service is quite decent.. and no comments on the politicians (really no comments, because i don't pay much attention to what they are trying to do)..

i guess you can always try to report it to the relevant department on the potholes and see if they get filled up in a week/month/quarter/year ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    i guess you can always try to report it to the relevant department on the potholes and see if they get filled up in a week/month/quarter/year ?
    I can't even get parking enforcement to show up at our office to shush those pesky SF trucks and their millions of parcels away and you think somebody would come and fix potholes.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I can't even get parking enforcement to show up at our office to shush those pesky SF trucks and their millions of parcels away and you think somebody would come and fix potholes.
    Yes, I do it all the time. Broken traffic lights, bad bus service, unsafe branches hanging in trees, etc . It gets taken care of.

1823 Online - Home

Much better to complain there than on Geoexpat.

Me too, some departments are on top of it. Some aren't. But overall it's quite effective.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast