Like Tree190Likes

Hong Kong double-decker bus accident, at least 19 dead

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    If KMB starts paying out 10-15K a month for drivers that only needs to drive 4 hours a day, Whats there to stop the drivers working somewhere else for 8 hours a day which means they can earn 25K a month driving 12 hrs a day.

I like what your saying but people will want to earn more and they will push themselves to earn more for themselves and their families.
    Its going to be tough for KMB or any company to monitor what their drivers are doing outside working hours. Install sleep/rest sensors in the drivers body is the future.
    At the moment I believe there is no legislation stopping drivers from working a 2nd job before a shift. For part timers it is probably expected. Set a minimum of 5 hours rest before the start of a shift and the working pool is much smaller so higher wages would be needed. There will always be people who break the law but at least they know the laws have been put in place to protect society and the risks of getting caught and dismissed for moonlighting may be enough of a deterrent.

Obviously companies as part of their Franchise rights would need basic systems and controls to be functioning....

Original Post Deleted
    The question should probably be how many hours are they working per week.
    gigglinggal likes this.

After reading many of the articles on this, I kind of think that drivers may need training in how to deal with rude bullying behaviour from passengers.
    How do we know if its the driver's fault that the bus is late? But some people like to let the bus driver know loud and clear. Then the driver is upset and belittled. For a lot of people the reaction to this is to fight back - and for a driver he may chose to take a fast turn to throw the rude passenger around a bit.
    I have experienced this where a driver gets pissed off because he was belittled in from of others by a passenger and then drives really fast and stops short.
    So its the driver's fault for the bad driving, but the emotional abuse that some may face on a daily basis may cause them to crack?

gigglinggal likes this.

Some of you seem to think that Hong Kong is somehow more terrible than other places, first world bla bla bla. Killed on the roads in London last year: 136, in HK: 132, NY: 229. Seriously injured: London: 2092, in HK: 2492

Truck and bus drivers in most countries don't come from the cream of the crop, often work long hours, use drugs to stay awake, have to deal with unruly passengers. There's only so much that governments can do, the solution is to get rid of human error and automate. Whatever errors machines will do, they will be far less than humans.

shri, imparanoic and civil_servant like this.

I'm still stuck on how a bus company could have hired a person with a conviction for dangerous driving! That's like...DUH?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    At the moment I believe there is no legislation stopping drivers from working a 2nd job before a shift. For part timers it is probably expected. Set a minimum of 5 hours rest before the start of a shift and the working pool is much smaller so higher wages would be needed. There will always be people who break the law but at least they know the laws have been put in place to protect society and the risks of getting caught and dismissed for moonlighting may be enough of a deterrent.

Obviously companies as part of their Franchise rights would need basic systems and controls to be functioning....
    My contract forbids me having a second job. There was recently another thread about someone who wanted to do freelance work and his contract had similar restrictions.

I'm surprised bus drivers don't have the same (i understand it would be different for the part time drivers so it doesn't change anything in this accident). Is it due to pay where they expect them to have another job to supplement their salary?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I'm still stuck on how a bus company could have hired a person with a conviction for dangerous driving! That's like...DUH?
    He had a record for Careless Driving, a big difference. I'm sure many other taxi, minibus, or bus drivers have one of those. He was also hired prior to his first offence.
    imparanoic and gigglinggal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    He had a record for Careless Driving, a big difference. I'm sure many other taxi, minibus, or bus drivers have one of those. He was also hired prior to his first offence.
    Careless driving is just as bad. It implies someone who is not a good driver. I would expect, if I were a bus driver, to get FIRED for ANY form of driving conviction. Surely that's obvious? Why would any company in good conscience put lives at risk for keeping someone on who was not safe?
    TheBrit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast