Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Hong Kong double-decker bus accident, at least 19 dead

The accident is one of the worst since 2003, when 21 people were killed as a double-decker plunged off a Tuen Mun flyover after colliding with a container truck.

In 2008, a speeding bus careered out of control at a Sai Kung roundabout, leaving 18 people dead and 44 injured.
    Something I posted in a thread about this news.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Horrible. Worse somehow for being just before CNY.

Today I was driving in Tuen Mun and a KMB tried to speed past me to stop me from overtaking a van parked on double yellows and I remarked to my wife that I'd notice the buses becoming more aggressive again...I had noticed over the years that they had generally become the best of the professional drivers.

Maybe they're under some new pressure...or maybe it's with CNY looming, is that high pressure time for folks, similar to Christmas in the U.K?

I've run past down this road many times. There's nothing unusual about it, nothing particularly difficult about it. It's got a bunch of bus routes on it.
    There's no reason something even remotely like this should happen.
    There will be an occasional bus crash, and car crash, yes - but nothing that would cause passengers in a bus to die, let alone in such numbers.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
    There will be an occasional bus crash, and car crash, yes - but nothing that would cause passengers in a bus to die, let alone in such numbers.
    I dunno...bus crashes are rare, but if they happen they are likely to involve a lot of folks and a lot of folks not wearing seatbelts.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Wouldn't the death toll of many of these accidents be reduced if Hong Kong stopped using double decker buses for routes where the risk is higher of the bus tipping over? My understanding is, a normal bus with only one level is a lot harder to tip over.

I know double decker buses can carry more passengers, but seeing all these deaths after an accident is disheartening.

Grumbler and imparanoic like this.

Sad news for the victims, especially before CNY. I have to say they need to do something with bus drivers, they drive like complete nutcase (minibus even worse).

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese
    I dunno...bus crashes are rare, but if they happen they are likely to involve a lot of folks and a lot of folks not wearing seatbelts.
    my thought was, if a bus crashes into a passenger car, and the bus driver doesn't do anything stupid, the folks in the bus won't feel *that* much of an impact...
    obviously, any bus - but especially a 2x decker bus - flipping on its side, changes that.
    given general approaches to traffic safety, doesn't seem likely that there won't be any crashes between buses and other vehicles.
    a 2x decker flipping on its side? that should be a once in a decade kind of thing.

KMB executives announce $80K handouts for the injured on TV. I'm raising eyebrows here.....the timing is awkward ...

angeluscomplex likes this.

It's really a wrong timing. My heart goes out to the families that lost their beloved ones. May God console them.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast