Like Tree24Likes

HK dishes are way too salty

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HK dishes are way too salty

Our dishes are way too salty
    The result shows that the average daily salt intake of nearly 90 percent of the respondents exceeded the WHO standard by about 1.8 times. Although the salt intakes varied in different age groups, 80 percent of the youngest age bracket still exceeded the standard intake.
    MandM! likes this.

Salted fish!!

salted egg! with soy sauce!!!

MandM! likes this.

Yep would have to agree, Hongkies really like over seasoned foods, never subtle about it.

Had an annoying conversation with a local regarding a spaghetti pomodoro e basilico once, which I brought to a pot luck dinner. Hearing her whinge about how my dish was so under seasoned that her bolognaise was better LMFAO.

I gave up trying to explain the difference

Last edited by Skyhook; 12-02-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Wow, maybe I salt my food way too much in that case!

I often find local HK dishes on the bland side, especially compared to similar food on the mainland. Though to be fair I'm not a fan of salted fish or salted egg so maybe I'm just ordering wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Wow, maybe I salt my food way too much in that case!

I often find local HK dishes on the bland side, especially compared to similar food on the mainland. Though to be fair I'm not a fan of salted fish or salted egg so maybe I'm just ordering wrong!
    yes, mainland restaurant food is high sodium, oil, fat whatever as well. in hk, you can go to any bbq joint and order the 4 whatever combo. usually comes with half a salted egg with soy sauce soaked rice with some sort of green onion on the side also very salty. probaby super unhealthy but i enjoy it once in a while. lol
    Skyhook likes this.

slightly off on a sweet tangent, but i've never understood it when a Hong Konger complains that British desserts and cakes are too sweet.

Some of the HK desserts are like drinking sugar... they are even called "tong shui" which literally translates as sugar water!

let us not forget MSG as well...

You needed a news article to tell you that? You can taste the excess salt in pretty much every dish here.

Skyhook and MerMer like this.

Had the unfortunate experience of having macaroni and ham soup for breakfast the other day. It was disgustingly salty. At least I got my feet wet!

Food also has a lot of MSG and processed ingredients here. Have now resorted to cooking at home.

Mrs. Jones and Skyhook like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast