Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
Like Tree64Likes

CNY Fireworks Cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Perhaps but more likely a knee jerk reaction...blah blah blah blah.
    Name:  the-boy-who-cried-wolf.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  81.5 KB

My understand is that this is very much about the date on which the people died. The cases that you mentioned are quite different with respect to the lunar calendar.

Edit: I was quoting someone who asked why the fireworks were not cancelled in 1992 and 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    I here the 'right decision' might be the importation of low cost bus drivers on short term contracts (no right of abode - like Domestic Helpers) to solve the recruitment issues and allow shorter working hours.
    I had a discussion with one of my neighbours - an old retired man, about the Govt running a scheme to train some of the minority youth to take up well paying jobs where there is a shortage of local talent - minibus drivers specifically in our area. So many of the Indian / Pakistani / Filipino locals speak Canto / English and are under-employed.

His response, while he agreed that something needed to be done, was "but there might be a problem... some people might not like to get on a bus which might be driven by a non-chinese".
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Racism amongst locals.. Surely not!

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    I had a discussion with one of my neighbours - an old retired man, about the Govt running a scheme to train some of the minority youth to take up well paying jobs where there is a shortage of local talent - minibus drivers specifically in our area. So many of the Indian / Pakistani / Filipino locals speak Canto / English and are under-employed.

His response, while he agreed that something needed to be done, was "but there might be a problem... some people might not like to get on a bus which might be driven by a non-chinese".
    are they worse drivers? lol!

wasn't too long ago that it was strange to see a female bus/minibus/taxi driver. I see a few but really under-represented relative to the population ratio.
    East_coast likes this.

I think they meant workers imported from Shenzhen to keep grass roots wages low

Those people can walk, it's good for their health and keeps seats empty on the bus for others. "Win-Win" as the Chinese like to say.

So they've used the fireworks to frighten those damn pesky dolphins.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2018/02/1...lay-cancelled/

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark
    So they've used the fireworks to frighten those damn pesky dolphins.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2018/02/1...lay-cancelled/

What the hell is wrong with us?! If aliens came down to earth, they would be so baffled.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

The KMB bus crash is a highly publicized event, so to cancel the fireworks based on that isn't all that strange. I guess it can be called grandstanding, but I wonder what the backlash would've been like if they continued with the fireworks. I do feel bad for all the local businesses and locals that were looking forward to the festivities.

But to see some people playing the victim here is very entertaining. I wonder if it's all virtue signaling as some of us here don't even live in HK anymore...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7