Like Tree9Likes

Hong Kong Woman Becomes World's Snooker World Number One

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hong Kong Woman Becomes World's Snooker World Number One

Congratulations to Ng On-yee for putting Hong Kong's snooker culture on the map, and for breaking barriers for women in a male-dominated sport as well.

But Ng has just become the first Asian woman to top the World Ladies Billiards and Snooker (WLBS) rankings.The 27-year-old replaced long-time number one Reanne Evans of England last week as she reached the quarter-finals of the British Open in Stourbridge.

Three other female snooker players from Hong Kong are also among the world's top 15.
    Ng On-yee: Snooker's new world number one - BBC News

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Congratulations to Ng On-yee for ... breaking barriers for women in a male-dominated sport as well.
    In what way did she do that?

And while you were busy virtue signalling your mates at the BBC's PC Dept. were sleeping...

At first glance, with her youthful features and thick glasses, Ng On-yee could be mistaken for a schoolgirl, rather than a world number one sportswoman.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    In what way did she do that?

And while you were busy virtue signalling your mates at the BBC's PC Dept. were sleeping...

Wow, managing to get "virtue signalling" "your mates at the BBC" "PC" into a thread congratulating an achievement. The alt right would be proud of you.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Wow, managing to get "virtue signalling" "your mates at the BBC" "PC" into a thread congratulating an achievement. The alt right would be proud of you.
    'The alt right'? Oh give it a rest. I imagine the alt right would think that the way the BBC described Ng On-yee was perfectly acceptable...do you?

Do you hull? Do you think the BBC's description of Ng On-yee was acceptable?

Do you think Ng On-yee 'broke barriers in a male dominated sport'? If yes, in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    'The alt right'? Oh give it a rest. I imagine the alt right would think that the way the BBC described Ng On-yee was perfectly acceptable...do you?

Do you hull? Do you think the BBC's description of Ng On-yee was acceptable?

Do you think Ng On-yee 'broke barriers in a male dominated sport'? If yes, in what way?

No I don't think she has broken any boundaries.

I think the comments were quite inoffensive relative to the usual media descriptions of women.

I think your comments were completely unnecessary given the topic of the thread.

Any other questions?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Any other questions?
    No. I think you've made yourself quite clear.

Ng On-yee could be mistaken for a schoolgirl?

Obviously he gold Bauhinia Star is on its way after the usual political hangers-on get theirs for services to the party.
    Last edited by East_coast; 04-03-2018 at 01:03 PM.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Chinese women tend to age better than Western women so I don't blame the BBC for calling her young.

Here's the full list of their rankings. Australia is placed #47 and all the Hong Kong women on the list are ranked above her.

https://www.womenssnooker.com/rankings/

She didn't break any boundaries in a male-dominated sport because she is 1st on the World LADIES Billiards and Snooker rankings.

But i don;t think there is anything wrong with the description which is factually correct. She is youthful looking, and her glasses are those round harry potter types.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Congratulations to Ng On-yee for putting Hong Kong's snooker culture on the map, and for breaking barriers for women in a male-dominated sport as well.

Ng On-yee: Snooker's new world number one - BBC News
    Happy for her and congrats.

As for you:

Congratulations to Ng On-yee for putting Hong Kong's snooker culture on the map, and for breaking barriers for women in a male-dominated sport as well

But Ng has just become the first Asian woman to top the World Ladies Billiards and Snooker (WLBS) rankings
    UK/HKboy likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast