Like Tree5Likes

19 yr old HKer killed, put girlfriend in suitcase, Taiwan police suspect

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by sinespe:
    what the family wants has very little to do with whether the suspect will be found guilty or not. I'm not a legal expert but without an extradition treaty the chance this guy will be sent to Taiwan to stand trial is basically zero.

Since no Taiwanese national was killed, Taiwanese will forget this case in two weeks.
    There will be no closure for the family til there is justice. True no Taiwanese got killed but that country does have a history of using capital punishment to foreigners. Check out the wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...ion_statistics

Quote Originally Posted by gardabble:
    There will be no closure for the family til there is justice. True no Taiwanese got killed but that country does have a history of using capital punishment to foreigners.
    A very basic principle of the English legal system is that people are innocent until proven guilty, that's why we call him a suspect, not a convicted murderer. You're asking for a guy to be executed based on what? Something you read on Apple daily? Death without a trial first?

The same wikipedia article you posted also tells you that the number of people executed in Taiwan has been consistently less than 10 per year since 2001, with many years the number was simply 0. Yes the possibility exist, but not very likely. And he's not even in Taiwan anymore so lack of extradition treaty made it pretty impossible, and I'm willing to bet you real money he will not stand trial in Taiwan.

It's far more likely that he will be instead be tried for theft charges in Hong Kong with additional assistance from Taiwan police. Whether the court can pin a murder charge on him I don't know, and I doubt you know either.

And I was born in Taiwan, you want him executed, DO IT YOURSELF. Don't ask Taiwan or any other countries to do your dirty job.