Like Tree48Likes

$4K Handout to be announced

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    For many the cost of a flight will be more than the hand out.
    True, but some will probably see it as a subsidized vacation back to HK.

I just checked the government info on voter registration eligibility, which also requires one to "ordinarily reside in HK". But the government encouraged those living abroad to return to vote, and many do so. Also many who live in the mainland come back to vote. Its a very tricky requirement.

https://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/careandshare/en/faq.htm

Hong Kong non-permanent residents who have been admitted to Hong Kong to work, study, or receive training and their dependants, as well as those persons who have entered Hong Kong as visitors, including those admitted to work in Hong Kong under the Working Holiday Scheme, are not eligible.

So as I read it, not for expats....but what if I work but not enough to pay tax and I'm here as a dependant not as a worker????

"presents a tax payment slip which shows that the tax concession received for 2017-18 falls below $4,000"

Rules me out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    "presents a tax payment slip which shows that the tax concession received for 2017-18 falls below $4,000"

Rules me out.....
    Where do you see "Tax concession received"? What's a tax payment slip (I paid my tax online and don't have any slip)?

If I get fined $8k for paying my tax a week late, can I get $4k back?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Where do you see "Tax concession received"? What's a tax payment slip (I paid my tax online and don't have any slip)?

If I get fined $8k for paying my tax a week late, can I get $4k back?

hmmmm you could be right, upon further investigation of my tax form (yes, I'm that backward that I still get my form and pay online ) I may be eligible, was mistaking tax reduction for tax concession and it appears don't have a tax concession. Woopie....will give it a shot.

Didn't you win the 8k charge removal

Original Post Deleted
    Nothing on my tax note indicates 'tax concession' only 'tax reduction' so not sure. I remember the 6k payments of the past but nothing indicating that on my form. I believe all handouts should go to those who need it rather than any sort of universal payment. Same goes for some of the old age allowances.

Though it would, of course, be nice to get a little bit off the tax bill

Original Post Deleted
    As stated: The provisional tax paid will, in accordance with the Inland Revenue Ordinance, be applied in payment of the final tax for the year of assessment 2016-17 and provisional tax for the year of assessment 2017-18. Excess balance, if any, will be refunded.

I will need to go back to my documents for last tax cycle as i'm looking at Final 2017/18 and Provisional 2018/19.

On the current one there is nothing about a tax concession so i guess this is their new approach.

I wish they would spend more on education, medical care and especially looking after the elderly.

I'm just confused with the whole tax concessions thing. Can I just apply and see if I get rejected or not? Let them figure it out instead of me.

I don't see the word concession anywhere on my tax slip. Call me stupid but what exactly is a concession?