• 3 Post By pin
  • 2 Post By jgl
  • 5 Post By pin
  • 1 Post By UK/HKboy

Hypocrisy of HK: Art Hub Status

Closed Thread

Hypocrisy of HK: Art Hub Status

https://qz.com/1230813/the-hypocrisy...s-an-arts-hub/

Great article about how bureaucracy gets in the way of anything that isn't a shopping centre of residential development.
    jgl, MerMer and irisboards like this.

was not allowed to leave anything on the premises.

“Not even a bag of clay?” I asked.

“No,” came the reply. “It’s a public space. You cannot store your own things.” The rule applied to anything: tools, a bucket of glaze, even an apron. “If you do, nobody will take responsibility for it. Your materials or work might be stolen, or thrown away by the staff.”

Most bags of clay weigh about 10 kg (22 lbs), and working on the potter’s wheel with it will produce a few kilos of wet clay that requires drying and recycling. I didn’t quite see myself carrying heavy earth to and fro on the bus, with another bag full of tools and glaze (secured in waterproof containers) slung across my shoulder. I never used that space.
    Stopped reading at this point ... sadly sounds similar to too many civil servant responses.
    TheBrit, tf19, Gatts and 1 others like this.

Hong Kong has status as an arts hub?

Mat and kimwy66 like this.

I am with jgl on this - I don't think anyone in their right mind think that HK has any status as a Art Hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I am with jgl on this - I don't think anyone in their right mind think that HK has any status as a Art Hub.
    Apart from our government, obviously. They think HK is the hub of any new fad. Fintech hub, Islamic finance hub, transport hub, tourism hub, shopping hub, cruise liner hub, aircraft hub, e-games hub, etc etc.
    shri, Mat, Onionman and 2 others like this.

its the same with anything. they think regulation and structure are the best ways to do everything, and it is not, especially when it requires creativity.

art, music, culture, architecture, design, food, technology. These are all things which are creative industries in some way, and the best way is to develop organically. As soon as the government comes in with their requirements, time plans, annual objectives, targets, (basically trying to pigeon-hole what each is supposed to be) it really defeats the point of why most people enter these industries.

irisboards likes this.