Like Tree18Likes

What should the minimum wage be set to?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The government provides to the general population cheap housing,
    Because ppl can't afford rents here

Have you noticed HK people have what they need? New phones, LV's, Rolex
    I wonder how many of those are genuine. Many can't afford the overpriced stuff. I don't judge how well the population is doing by clothes, I judge by assets. Do most own property, do they have a good income?

Many HK people who go overseas end up coming back to HK. 
    Yea all those ppl who went to Canada sure came back.

If you don't like it, that's why they built the airport express train. GTFO.
    CCP would love your philosophy. You want to critisice our ways??gtfo!
    TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    https://www.google.com.hk/amp/m.scmp...ousing%3famp=1

Pro-democracy , my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea addict:
    Because ppl can't afford rents here

I wonder how many of those are genuine. Many can't afford the overpriced stuff. I don't judge how well the population is doing by clothes, I judge by assets. Do most own property, do they have a good income?

Yea all those ppl who went to Canada sure came back.

CCP would love your philosophy. You want to critisice our ways??gtfo!
    The people here have disposable income. That's the difference!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    I reckon $50ish
    The answer is 42
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Well yes. The government provides to the general population cheap housing, taxes, transport, medical and there are plenty of cheap food options out there. Employment laws are quite protective comparatively and people here have holiday, sick leave and annual leave.

In the US, people barely survive to live. The general population is living paycheck to paycheck. Most only dream of going on a vacation. Health care would bankrupt them. Public transport is not that great not convenient nor clean. Many jobs will not provide insurance, absolutely no retirement, no sick leave, no annual leave, no holiday pay. Food is expensive, there's the tipping culture. I could go on.....

That's the general population. It's easy to say oh no I know people who have a big house and everything is great. A person who earns US$100k per year is in the what top 3-5% of income earners in the US. Here in HK, a person who earns US$100k is basically poor, well a lot of people earn a lot more. Wages in HK are low but you're not considering the entire package. Have you noticed HK people have what they need? New phones, LV's, Rolex, cars?? In the US, I have to worry about getting shot or stabbed carrying a phone or wearing a watch -- no thanks!

I don't understand why people come here to criticize the system. I enjoy the system, the opportunities, the challenges and conveniences. Many HK people who go overseas end up coming back to HK. If you don't like it, that's why they built the airport express train. GTFO.
    Your grasp on reality is slipping. USD100k is basically poor? Do you have any idea what the median salary is in HK? Ask your security guard if he has a rolex, car, LV, whatever. Yes there is not the same level of poverty as in a third world country like the Philippines, or the USA, but your grasp of the poverty in HK is weak.
    TheBrit likes this.

Well yes. The PUBLIC provides to the working poor cheap housing, taxes, transport, medical and there are plenty of cheap food options out there. Employment laws are quite protective comparatively and people here have holiday, sick leave and annual leave.

Have you noticed HK people have what they need? New phones, LV's, Rolex, cars?? In the US, I have to worry about getting shot or stabbed carrying a phone or wearing a watch -- no thanks!
    You obviously go to different housing projects to me.

The median wage in HK is $16,800 and the Minimum wage is 0.36 of this. Hong Kong and the US are outliers for developed countries in having very low wages for grass roots workers. Hong Kong should not be comparing itself to the worst but the best countries.

The current system results in ghettos of multi-generational poverty. Nice good or nice governance

I don't understand why people come here to criticize the system. I enjoy the system, the opportunities, the challenges and conveniences. Many HK people who go overseas end up coming back to HK. If you don't like it, that's why they built the airport express train. GTFO.
    It is my money that gets given to keep the poor poor. Why should I have an opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It is my money that gets given to keep the poor poor.
    How much do they take from you and give to the poor each year?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    How much do they take from you and give to the poor each year?
    The issue is not the amount of money but the way it is spent that re-enforces multi-generational poverty.

If it was $1 or $1,000,000 it does not matter it how it is spent that matters
    Last edited by East_coast; 12-04-2018 at 08:20 PM.

You can't find staff to work for minimum wage in HK anyway. HK staff are expensive and the work product isn't that great. I've started hiring in other cheaper countries with much better results and people who are thankful to be employed.