Like Tree63Likes

Uber's Big American Ego...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Isn't Didi run by the daughter of the Legend Holding guy who has very close links to the top echelon of the CCP.

If Didi are told to come to HK to keep the transport Legco seat safe they will come to HK and keep the LegCo seat safe by ousting Uber.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Awfully jingoistic headline. The truth is Uber is an asshole company that plays nasty with everyone. Their days are numbered.
    Agree but the nicer Lyft don't get the marketshare outside the US.

Anyway unless you have government baking of certain players then the barriers to entry seem pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The problem is not so much with the concept but Uber's appalling and arrogant management.

Grab arrived where I live this year, eldest uses them a lot and they are excellent - but then we didn't have taxis before so their competition is trikes and jeepneys
    I don't know why Grab does better in Asia than Uber, but it does. Been using them extensively in Vietnam these last two trips. I think maximum wait time was perhaps 3 minutes. In HK, minimum wait time for an Uber is perhaps 10 minutes. In Philippines, Grab and Uber compete but i think Grab is winning - wait times are much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I don't know why Grab does better in Asia than Uber, but it does. Been using them extensively in Vietnam these last two trips. I think maximum wait time was perhaps 3 minutes. In HK, minimum wait time for an Uber is perhaps 10 minutes. In Philippines, Grab and Uber compete but i think Grab is winning - wait times are much the same.
    Uber no longer operate in the Philippines
    rainylin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

Hong Kong is against any innovation past 1997. Uber breaks the rules and plays against a cartel that is the taxi industry in HK. Not going to change. Same if you want to compete against any of the monopolies in HK, no chance.

We are talking about a government that hasn't updated their websites since 1999!

Since the Octopus it's basically a dead bed of innovation.

Wonder why Amazon isn't there yet? Probably because there is no point fighting the rent mafia

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    As far as I know, is the whole south east asia. Is bought by Grab.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    If Didi are told to come to HK to keep the transport Legco seat safe they will come to HK and keep the LegCo seat safe by ousting Uber.
    They have been in HK for a while - in some weird stealth mode. Didi was our advertiser several years ago - even though we told them that they needed an English app for things to work well with our audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:

Wonder why Amazon isn't there yet? Probably because there is no point fighting the rent mafia
    Taobao.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Hong Kong is against any innovation past 1997. Uber breaks the rules and plays against a cartel that is the taxi industry in HK. Not going to change. Same if you want to compete against any of the monopolies in HK, no chance.
    For me Uber is different things in different countries. In HK I see them as pirates, not paying fees everyone else is doing, but as you say unless there is some kind of pressure there will never be any chance in HK. Goverment sponsored Monopolies cripple us.

Last year I did about 900 trips on Uber in south east easian countries and zero in HK. I did about 100 on Grab. I find Uber to be a fair a reasonable system for both the passengers and drivers. Grab however is structure to favour drivers. Drives know where you are going and they can shop. If you are in the boonies and you only want to travel 3km, I have experience waiting for Grab 2 hours and rejected by many drivers. With Uber they don't know where you are going, and the system decides who is best to pick up. Sometimes you get great deals, sometimes, you get crap deals... If you use them lots, they will give you discounts and sometimes credits which means short trips are free. Before Uber shut down 3 weeks ago, I found my trip from the airport was free and got about 5 free rides too as I had been in HK for a few months.

The fact that Uber sold to Grab in 6 countries in Asia is a disaster and we will know see what Grab's monopoly will do. Those that say Grab is better, is because they have not clocked hundreds of trips or don't have Uber to compare with.

Uber is truly an equal oportunity employer. It doesn't know matter how stupid you are, how bad you drive, nagivate or your phone doesn't even work, GPS is crap they give many people an opportunity to make a living. this also means that sometimes you are going to arrive late, as the driver will struggle to pick you up, etc... So you have to roll with the punches.

In 2 countries I met former drivers that said they made much more with Uber than owning their own taxi and paying the license.

Uber has its good things, but in HK, they are both expensive and being unfair, though maybe justified.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast